Is there any advantage os using a higher octane petrol?

All Mazda CX-3 related discussions
Handy Andy

Post by Handy Andy »

Hi, I currently use normal 95 grade, either Shell or BP. Is there any advantage in paying more for Super? Not really concerned about performance, more about the long term effect on the engine.

I am aware that with direct injection engines you lose the advantage of the fuel cleaning the inlet valves as only the air enters there. That maybe a 'walnut' job in the future.

Cheers, Andy
Car sold - but still following Mazda.

santa

Post by santa »

I have no direct answer to your question, but I tried Shell V-power (which is 99 octane compared to our normal 95 octane) for a bit.
It felt smoother and pulled better at lower revs and seemed to be a bit more economical (though not much), but being around 15-20% more expensive, I've switched back to regular 95 octane.
Mazda CX-30 2.0 150HP Aut. Cosmo w. Tech Pack in Arctic White, 2023.
Starpils

Post by Starpils »

For the first year i used V-power, then i switched to 95 ( only premium brands ). I couldn't see any significant difference in economy. I think that mazda has done a very fine job in engineering the skyactiv to run on 95, but v-power doesn't hurt. I've recently tried V-power again, and found a slight decrease in fuel consumption. If it has something to do with the hot weather, or the car has done more KM, i dont't know.

https://www.spritmonitor.de/en/detail/758019.html
Soul red CX3 2,0 Optimum sat-nav
Handy Andy

Post by Handy Andy »

Dank.
Handy Andy

Post by Handy Andy »

Danke
Strangways

Post by Strangways »

There is no advantage in using high octane petrol with the Skyactiv-G engine. Performance and efficiency will remain the same. However when the new Skyactiv-X becomes available the choice of fuel will affect the engine output. So buy the the 95 now and save the money for the new Skyactiv-X.
2019 CX-3 2.0 Sport Nav+ Automatic in ETERNAL BLUE
2015 MX-5 2.0 Sport Nav Manual in SOUL RED
Starpils

Post by Starpils »

Funny enough, according to mazda, the skyactiv-x engine will run most efficient on 92 octane or lower
Soul red CX3 2,0 Optimum sat-nav
Strangways

Post by Strangways »

Starpils wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:38 pm Funny enough, according to mazda, the skyactiv-x engine will run most efficient on 92 octane or lower
Yes that sounds right, but they have also stated that the BHP will increase with higher octane fuel.
2019 CX-3 2.0 Sport Nav+ Automatic in ETERNAL BLUE
2015 MX-5 2.0 Sport Nav Manual in SOUL RED
GeeJam

Post by GeeJam »

As most are aware, there are comments on this topic elsewhere on the CX-3 forum. And by going on You Tube's myriad selection of videos on this topic, you can skip all my rubbish and drivvle that wot I've written below (Yawn).

Disclaimer: I am not a mathematician, neither an accountant, but . . . .

For regular short runs (say 16 mile round trips there, stop and back), filling up with £40 of premium (BP) or V-Power (Shell) cost about £2.80 more then filling up with their normal equivalent premium unleaded. However, our CX-3 goes much further on premium - by about 80 miles on average.

So, in simple to understand terms, by putting £40 of 'normal' in the tank, we can do 20 x short 16 mile trips (320 miles).

By putting £40 of 'premium unleaded' in the tank, we can do 25 x short trips (400 miles).

The bottom line is, unfortunately, that the 'per mile' cost of those extra 80 miles you can do cost £11.20 as opposed to £8.40 if using normal unleaded. So, the saving is ZILCH! The only indirect cost saving is that the tone, pitch and engine's smoothness is enhanced - and is astonishingly more noticeably better than running on Tesco or Morrisons Petrol.

I just wish you could buy Nitro-Methane at the pumps. Now that's Zoom-Zoom!!!!

Have Fun.

GJam
CX-3 Sport Nav 2.0L Petrol. Manual. Soul Red & Half Stone interior. From new Sept 2015. South Lincolnshire UK.
anchorman

Post by anchorman »

It’s not all about mileage. If you are talking about using the premium fuel like V Power and Ultimate, they are loaded with additives to keep injectors and valves clean. They are very important in diesels but also very helpful in petrols. It’s not a gimmick.
CX-5 Sportnav diesel auto. AWD