Occasional 'Clank' on pulling away!

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
AndyRen
Location: Down a bit, down a bit more, right a bit, down a bit.... Right there - Kent

Post by AndyRen »

Have noticed recently an occasional noise I can only describe as a 'clank' when pulling away, after the car starts moving there's this noise - just the once - and I've managed to replicate it on my driveway in both forward and reverse, so the car is really just in motion. I can't think for the life of me what it can be, I've wondered about brake pads moving in their calipers, clutch bearing, aircon compressor kicking in at certain revs, a 'linkage' coming loose??? Car has only done just over 10k miles so wear should not be the reason.
As I've said it is 'occasional', so when we notice it happen I'll have to get it down to the dealers ASAP.
I just wondered if anyone here has had a similar experience and what their outcome was??
16 plate 2L Petrol, 120bhp Soul Red Sport Nav...

jtonline

Post by jtonline »

Perhaps a brake pad sticking to the disc and coming free when the wheel rotates? If that's it, I've noticed it on mine after washing it with the handbrake applied and then leaving it overnight.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
Handy Andy

Post by Handy Andy »

Agree. I always give the car a quick spin round the block after a wash so I don't get the light rusting on the discs which can happen if left to dry naturally.
Car sold - but still following Mazda.
AndyRen
Location: Down a bit, down a bit more, right a bit, down a bit.... Right there - Kent

Post by AndyRen »

Hmm... I undestand what you're both saying, but it can happen after long run - anytime in fact, not just after a time of inactivity.
DaveG

Post by DaveG »

I have had it on previous cars it was the brake pads moving in the calipers, to prove it if you haven't already done so drive forward or reverse for a couple of mtrs brake then go in the opposite direction if it is the pads moving they will clunk, apologies if I am teaching you to suck eggs etc. :D
CX3 Sport Nav - Petrol - Auto - safety pack - snowflake white - 2019
AndyRen

Post by AndyRen »

DaveG wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:15 pm I apologies if I am teaching you to suck eggs etc. :D
;) no problem Dave - I've done my time laying under cars changing clutches and removing engines etc and I understand what you mean, but picture this.....
Driving for 20-30 miles at *ahem* a steady 70 then pulling up at a junction/traffic lights etc, release handbrake, pull away and then *clank*... Certainly not seized calipers and I think the car needs to be up to temperature when it happens. My wife drove it today - round journey of 30 miles ish and she didn't notice it at all, bearing in mind she's heard the noise and was looking out for it!
All I can say is if it happens and I'm close to my dealer I'll whip it in and see if one of them can come out with me.
Thanks for your suggestions guys... (I'll be so embarrassed if the dealer diagnoses a seized caliper :) )
HouseSpider

Post by HouseSpider »

Anything to do with the exhaust?
Sports Nav Auto Petrol 2017, 131bhp (chipped), Soul Red, Half Stone Leather, Safety Pack, Arm Rest, Auto Folding Mirror Kit, Detachable Tow Bar, HatchBag Boot Liner, Stebel Nautilus Compact horn. Space saver.
AndyRen

Post by AndyRen »

My wife says it sounds like a 'linkage' movement noise and I understand what she means but I can't explain the noise here! - will just have to wait for it again then back to the dealer.
HouseSpider

Post by HouseSpider »

It still could be one of the exhaust support brackets, the baffles/cat moving in it's housing etc once the exhaust has got up to temperature and expanded.
Let us know what you find out.
Sports Nav Auto Petrol 2017, 131bhp (chipped), Soul Red, Half Stone Leather, Safety Pack, Arm Rest, Auto Folding Mirror Kit, Detachable Tow Bar, HatchBag Boot Liner, Stebel Nautilus Compact horn. Space saver.
AndyRen

Post by AndyRen »

HouseSpider wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:32 am It still could be one of the exhaust support brackets,
Let us know what you find out.
Yes it could be I suppose....
When it happens again I'll endeavour to get it to the dealer and update here.