Sat Nav Again

All Mazda CX-3 related discussions
SoonerV8

Post by SoonerV8 »

I have given up with the installed SAT NAV. Programming your destination is rubbish to start with but the result is dreadful. My mate and I tried for 2 hours to set my home address and then set a route to home.
First of all it accepted my postcode but refused to recognise any further details like street name or house number. So just left it as the post code, and selected "navigate to". When the mileage came up as 96miles, for an approx 60 mile journey, we plotted the outlined route. It had plotted a course taking me 15 miles south, to then travel 15 miles north on an almost parallel road, completely disregarding the 3 mile road which did the same point to point! We gave up, and neither of us technical numbskulls!!
I'll get the Garmin out again, but since the mapping is on an SD card, can I input another program? By either using another card or by formatting and reprogramming the current card?
Petrol Sport Nav AWD 2018 UK Midlands.

Ghdarwen

Post by Ghdarwen »

Which route option did you select? Where they all way out?
2018 67 plate CX3 2.0 Sports Nav with Safety Pack in Soul Red
SoonerV8

Post by SoonerV8 »

Two hours!! I think we went through every option, even tried way points, which should have given more direct routing, but it still kept defaulting to this huge "detour". Even then when setting places as way points it refused to allow the entry of a road, e.g., A442 etc..
AndyRen
Location: Down a bit, down a bit more, right a bit, down a bit.... Right there - Kent

Post by AndyRen »

Was it perhaps diverting you due to traffic/accident reasons? It's happend to us in the CX3.
16 plate 2L Petrol, 120bhp Soul Red Sport Nav...
Boyle de Cabbage

Post by Boyle de Cabbage »

http://www.lukasz-skalski.com/portfolio ... zd-player/ has an app for your phone and some code you install to a memory stick to plug in your car. Nothing is permanently installed and no Mazda guarantee is broken, but you can run Android Auto and use Google Maps for navigation together with voice commands instigated from the steering-wheel voice button.

All so long as you don't have 59.00.512 and above on your head unitπŸ˜€
Mazda paint is crap! Mazda should be ashamed of themselves!.
SoonerV8

Post by SoonerV8 »

Andy. I doubt it since I used the short route to get home with not a hint of a delay.
Boyle. Thanks for that, I will explore.
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

SoonerV8 wrote: ↑Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:54 pm I have given up with the installed SAT NAV. Programming your destination is rubbish to start with but the result is dreadful. My mate and I tried for 2 hours to set my home address and then set a route to home.
First of all it accepted my postcode but refused to recognise any further details like street name or house number. So just left it as the post code, and selected "navigate to". When the mileage came up as 96miles, for an approx 60 mile journey, we plotted the outlined route. It had plotted a course taking me 15 miles south, to then travel 15 miles north on an almost parallel road, completely disregarding the 3 mile road which did the same point to point! We gave up, and neither of us technical numbskulls!!

Hmm., OK. I've not had any major issues with it myself and I don't think it's inherently bad, but it's not to everyone's liking I suppose. The lack of house numbers is down to the map data from HERE, but I remember the same issue on the non-integrated Tom Tom Go I used to have, where sometimes it said house numbers weren't available. In some cases the house numbering for a housing estate is just plain wrong on multiple brands of sat nav (presumably because the wrong info was given to the mapping companies.) We don't have knowledge of the settings on your sat nav to know why it might have ignored the 3 mile road you mention. If you have 'Use historic data' ticked for example, it can do some seemingly weird routes because it's calculations will take into consideration historic traffic density info stored in the map data to try and route you the way that's likely to be less congested.
SoonerV8 wrote: ↑Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:54 pm I'll get the Garmin out again, but since the mapping is on an SD card, can I input another program? By either using another card or by formatting and reprogramming the current card?

No, you can't do that via SD, but the solution posted above may be worth a try.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
Gordongilchrist

Post by Gordongilchrist »

Have to say I find the sat nav faultless. Use it every day about 6 destinations for work purposes about town and outlying rural roads and occassionaly further afield. always takes me to the correct postal address via a reasonable route. Voice control is a bit hit or miss so don't use that much. I have never updated maps tho.
2017 Mazda CX-3 sport nav 2WD Automatic 120 petrol in white :)
HouseSpider

Post by HouseSpider »

Using the postcode in the Town or Postcode field restricts input into all other fields. If you input the destination town instead you then have the option to complete the road name & then the house number.
If you have a good sense of direction ang know your preferred route just take that preferred route. The sat nav will update as you go. Mine always wants to take me a certain route home from work but this isn't the best for me. After about 15 miles it then mirrors the remainder of the 60 mile journey.
Before you ask why I use the sat nav for a route I already know it's so I know my estimated arrival time so dinner can be on the table when I get home πŸ˜€
Sports Nav Auto Petrol 2017, 131bhp (chipped), Soul Red, Half Stone Leather, Safety Pack, Arm Rest, Auto Folding Mirror Kit, Detachable Tow Bar, HatchBag Boot Liner, Stebel Nautilus Compact horn. Space saver.
SoonerV8

Post by SoonerV8 »

"Using the postcode in the Town or Postcode field restricts input into all other fields". Well if that is the case it's unacceptable, as is as is being taken on a 30 mile "detour". I've had Garmin and Tom Tom units both of which accept post code as first entry then allow you to narrow down the destination parameters, after all the code is often the detail supplied by a business or supplier you need to visit. How a major car manufacturer can install something which is so inferior to that available on the open market, is a mystery to me!
So this Mazda effort will be consigned to one of those things which sounds good but doesn't deliver, hopefully it will remain the only feature of the vehicle which is rubbish, apart from the lack of a spare of course!!