New motoring offence from the 29th June 2018

The place to discuss everything else..
Handy Andy

Post by Handy Andy »

I see that as from today it is an offence to pass a cyclist closer than 1.5 metres with 3 points and a £1,000 fine.
What about the cyclists riding on pavements too close to pedestrians, or the ones that overtake on the inside clipping wing mirrors, and the ones that ignore red traffic lights. Isn't it time they were brought to book?

Oh... and when they do run red lights and get knocked off it's to often the motorists that gets the blame.
Car sold - but still following Mazda.

ptirving

Post by ptirving »

And if they cause an accident, what insurance do they have?
Also, am I right in thinking thet the highway code now allows them to ride 2 abreast?........ winding country road.... 25mph.....
Was GT Sport 2.0 Petrol Auto Meteor Grey 39mpg round the doors 46mpg on a run
Now 2019 Mazda 3 2.0 petrol auto Meteor Grey
anchorman

Post by anchorman »

Bikes are the biggest cause of greenhouse gas and global warming on the planet. 15 cars following one bike and then every now and again somebody uses a gallon of fuel passing them at wharp speed.
CX-5 Sportnav diesel auto. AWD
Strangways

Post by Strangways »

anchorman wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:30 pm Bikes are the biggest cause of greenhouse gas and global warming on the planet. 15 cars following one bike and then every now and again somebody uses a gallon of fuel passing them at wharp speed.
Totally agree with that. I took a run from Edenbridge to Eastbourne one day and only passed one cyclist, average was 52mpg. Following week on a Sunday with a cycling event and I could only manage 42mpg.
2019 CX-3 2.0 Sport Nav+ Automatic in ETERNAL BLUE
2015 MX-5 2.0 Sport Nav Manual in SOUL RED
tyrfelin

Post by tyrfelin »

Hate the cycling events that take place on busy roads on the weekend!!! 🚴 🚴 🚴
Sport Nav 2.0 Snowflake White
Strangways

Post by Strangways »

I wonder if they have to leave 1.5 metre when passing another cyclist? And can they not pass on the inside unless they can clear a car by 1.5 metres?
One thing they shout have is a flashing rear light if they are going to pass through the shadows under the trees. I've only just missed two this week and I didn't have time to give them 1.5 metres. :x
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

This doesn't appear to have made it into UK law yet, and the Highway Code states the advice to "give motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders at least as much room as you would when overtaking a car".

From what I can tell, it's a DfT initiative to crack down on motorists who pass too close to cyclists, whereby police forces will be encouraged to use existing powers to punish motorists who intimidate cyclists by failing to give them enough space. Presumably the offence will be either careless or dangerous driving.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
Gadgetman

Post by Gadgetman »

Wow.

As a CX3 driver and a cyclist who pins a number on and competes I see both sides of the coin.

There are just as many appaling drivers around as there are people riding bikes badly.

The roads are for 'road users' not just car drivers - if everyone showed a bit of consideration and calmness the world would be a happier and safer place, wheteher you are behind a wheel or handlebars.

And for what it's worth, riding two abreast has always been legal........
anchorman

Post by anchorman »

Gadgetman wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:35 pm Wow.

As a CX3 driver and a cyclist who pins a number on and competes I see both sides of the coin.

There are just as many appaling drivers around as there are people riding bikes badly.

The roads are for 'road users' not just car drivers - if everyone showed a bit of consideration and calmness the world would be a happier and safer place, wheteher you are behind a wheel or handlebars.

Take no notice of me, I’m old and grumpy.
CX-5 Sportnav diesel auto. AWD
Strangways

Post by Strangways »

Gadgetman wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:35 pm Wow.

I agree with what you say that a bit of consideration of other road users would make the world a better place. I have also heard that there are a few considerate BMW drivers who have managed to get indicators and brakes fitted to their cars. :D
The main gripe I have with a large proportion of cyclists is that they feel that it is okay to stop at a junction in a large group and drink from their water bottles while car drivers have to negotiate around them while they block the view of the road. I seem to come across this a lot. The other common lack of consideration is that they ride in large groups not allowing drivers to overtake until there is a very long stretch of straight road with no oncoming traffic.
I accept that the road is for all road users, but there should be some sort of official awareness test for cyclists before they are allowed to use the public roads. They should only then be granted a licence to cycle on the roads. It may at least make some of them a little bit more considerate of the drivers around them. The laws affecting drivers can then be introduced to cyclists, including dangerous parking and convoys. Fines and points can then be imposed on the idiot cyclists as they are on the idiot drivers. At least we would all be using the roads under the same rules and governance which should be more things a little more harmonious.