New motoring offence from the 29th June 2018

The place to discuss everything else..
Mazzy

Post by Mazzy »

Looking at this from a different way; I was in cambridge earlier this week. Walking along footpaths and over bridges, the bike riders just came at you, at speed. There was no way they were going to go around you, you had to move out of their way! Also, there were a few that could not have stopped if they had tried.

In london, many bike riders are not cyclists. There are many people riding those free bikes that have no road sense what so ever.
2015 soul red CX3, sport nav auto petrol

Handy Andy

Post by Handy Andy »

www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-berkshire-44512967

and these cyclists are meant to be clued up. I hope the police investigate.
Car sold - but still following Mazda.
Gadgetman

Post by Gadgetman »

Visit any forum associated with bike racing and you'll find overwhelming condemnation for the idiots featured in the video above. It's a good job incidents like this are never caused by car drivers. Oh, hang on a minute........

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-c ... e-40134629
Handy Andy

Post by Handy Andy »

What prompted me to start this thread in the first place was an incident I experienced a couple of weeks ago. I was driving along a 30mph ‘A’ road, single carriageway, when a cyclist pulled out of a side road some hundred yards or so in front of me. When I caught up with him he was riding just about the correct side of the centre white line, wearing full sized headphones, no crash hat of course as the headphones would not have fitted, and doing about 15mph according to my speedo. I followed him for about two miles until he turned off to the left (without any indication). By this time the queue behind me was so long I could not see the end of it. If I had attempted to pass him I would have had to use the pavement on the other side to get a gap of 1.5 metres. He was obviously completely oblivious of the world around him and I don’t expect him to live too long.

This may be an extreme example, but true nevertheless. As mentioned earlier in this thread, training of awareness should be mandatory – for all road users.
Car sold - but still following Mazda.
Mickledore

Post by Mickledore »

Gadgetman wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:35 pm Wow.

As a CX3 driver and a cyclist who pins a number on and competes I see both sides of the coin.

There are just as many appaling drivers around as there are people riding bikes badly.

The roads are for 'road users' not just car drivers - if everyone showed a bit of consideration and calmness the world would be a happier and safer place, wheteher you are behind a wheel or handlebars.

And for what it's worth, riding two abreast has always been legal........
I'm also a cyclist and a motorist. I no longer ride on A class roads and try not to ride on B roads if at all possible. Cyclists are at far more danger of serious injury or worse than motorists in their four wheeled cocoons who will only get a scratch on their paintwork. Have you seen the video if the MX5 driver who ploughed in four cyclists in line astern, knocked two of them high into the air and didn't bother to stop? Magistrates rapped his knuckles.
Cyclists were lucky to be alive!
Mickledore

Post by Mickledore »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... lists.html

Here's a link that shows the video. Sorry it's the Daily Mail but the only other link was through facebook, which I'm not on!
zoylander

Post by zoylander »

Following several well publicised fatalities the government is about to outline proposals for a new criminal offence of Causing Death by Dangerous Cycling, which if adopted will carry the same penalties as Causing Death by Dangerous Driving. Needless to say, the cycling lobby is already howling in protest. Do these people really think they are above the law?
CX-3 SE 2.0L 2WD Auto. 43.5mpg.
Mickledore

Post by Mickledore »

zoylander wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:29 pm Following several well publicised fatalities the government is about to outline proposals for a new criminal offence of Causing Death by Dangerous Cycling, which if adopted will carry the same penalties as Causing Death by Dangerous Driving. Needless to say, the cycling lobby is already howling in protest. Do these people really think they are above the law?
Do motorists really think they can kill cyclists and get away with it? The motoring lobby that says only cars are important are pig headed fools.
Strangways

Post by Strangways »

Without doubt cyclists should be held responsible for their actions, and the laws relating to cyclists should be expanded to encompass all of the laws that relate to all road users. With the increasing number of cyclists on the roads today it is essential that these laws are changed to cover everybody using the roads. It seems totally wrong to me that anybody can get on a bike and ride on the road without taking a test or having to take out insurance. Lets make every road user liable for their actions.
2019 CX-3 2.0 Sport Nav+ Automatic in ETERNAL BLUE
2015 MX-5 2.0 Sport Nav Manual in SOUL RED
Gadgetman

Post by Gadgetman »

Hikers? Ramblers? Dog walkers? Runners? Horse riders?

Absolutely agree, speaking as a cyclist, that we should obey the laws of the road, just as motorists should. How practical it is to introduce tests, well, that’s a different matter all together.