Considering a CX-3 for my next car

All Mazda CX-3 related discussions
Trewithy

Post by Trewithy »

I am currently driving a 3 year old Ford Fiesta 1.0 litre Ecoboost Powershift (automatic) that I have owned from new. I am now thinking of changing my car in the autumn or next March. I want a car that is slightly larger than the Fiesta and a bit taller would be good, but I don’t want a full size SUV as I find the seat position too high for getting in and out comfortably. Also I would prefer a traditional torque convertor automatic. These requirements have led me to the CX-3.

My local dealer hasn’t got an automatic demonstrator but had a 15 plate auto on the forecourt that he let me take for a drive. All was good but while at motorway speeds I was aware that noise levels were as high, or even higher than my Fiesta. Also there is no lumbar support on the driver’s seat which I am used to. So I would like to ask current owners their opinion on suitability for long journeys and seat comfort as several times a year I have a 130 mile motorway trip Plymouth to Bristol and a 160 mile drive along the south coast Plymouth to Portsmouth.

Looking at this forum there doesn’t appear to be too many recurring issues; I assume the air con woes have now been sorted. By the time I purchase the face lifted version will be out, but looking on the internet the changes are not significant. I am open to suggestions for other cars to consider, the Honda Jazz is one and now has an upsized 1.5 engine from the HR-V. I have owned a Jazz auto in the past. CVT gearbox dull to drive but smooth and quiet, reliable and spacious for its size.

ptirving

Post by ptirving »

Jazz 1.5 motor is reported to be noisy. Mines the GT Sport with elec drivers seat which has lumbar. Id be surprised if the sport nav with manual seat doesnt. Just driven my cx3 back to back with my wifes 1.4 cvt jazz, cant spot any great diff in noise, the torque converter is a much better box. I looked at the HRV and the CH R hybrid and didnt like the cvts so hence the cx3.The cx5 is getting an auto on the 2.0 petrol this month. I also looked at the Kia Niro, good spec and build quality, better mpg with the hybrid and doesnt have a cvt, uses double cluth I think . I believe the HRVis getting the 1.5 turbo out of the new Civic but dont think it comes with an auto.
Seatcomfort is fine for me, 5ft 8 and 10.5 stone.. 2 days a week I drive about 50 60 miles a day.Slightly softer cushioningthan the jazz i would say
CX3s a very pretty car, especially in sport nav or gt sport, always look back at it.
Was GT Sport 2.0 Petrol Auto Meteor Grey 39mpg round the doors 46mpg on a run
Now 2019 Mazda 3 2.0 petrol auto Meteor Grey
anchorman

Post by anchorman »

If you are buying new, the interior is about to be refreshed to include a power seat with lumbar support. It also gets an electric parking brake and much better laid out centre console with storage.
CX-5 Sportnav diesel auto. AWD
tyrfelin

Post by tyrfelin »

Absolutely no regrets buying our CX-3 Sport Nav. Great looks and refinement, performance and economy are amazing for a 2.0 litre engine, fantastic standard equipment and quite rare on the roads!!! Highly recommended! ☺ Zoom-Zoom
Sport Nav 2.0 Snowflake White
HouseSpider

Post by HouseSpider »

I have an auto petrol with Toyo tyres.
The auto box is great , I commute 120 miles a day, and whilst it took me a while to get the seat right it's comfortable - just a problem when the mechanics move it during services.
The tyres seem to be getting quieter with age & wear. But there have been a few people who do find them too noisy & are considering a different type - Cross Climate- when they need to be renewed.
Sports Nav Auto Petrol 2017, 131bhp (chipped), Soul Red, Half Stone Leather, Safety Pack, Arm Rest, Auto Folding Mirror Kit, Detachable Tow Bar, HatchBag Boot Liner, Stebel Nautilus Compact horn. Space saver.
Handy Andy

Post by Handy Andy »

Hi Trewithy
the 2015 model you drove was one of the earlier ones. The later ones have more soundproofing. My Sport Nav has lumber suport. As for road noise after the first few weeks once the tyres bedded in I really don't find noise a problem.
It really is a great car and you won't regret having one. This is from an old f**t who has driven just about everything over the years
Car sold - but still following Mazda.
Mazzy

Post by Mazzy »

You don't say which model you test drove and I am making assumptions here. Is it not the case that the Sport Nav comes with 18 inch wheels and slightly lower profiles tyres which would be noiser. Are the other CX3's fitted with smaller wheels and bigger tyres, which will be less noisy?
2015 soul red CX3, sport nav auto petrol
tyrfelin

Post by tyrfelin »

Yes but 18 inch wheels are fabulous. Depends on road surface - new roads are quiet. Read some auto reviews about CX3 Sport Nav and you'll find great comments about roadholding and driveability.
tyrfelin

Post by tyrfelin »

Google Top Gear - Audi Q2 vs Toyota C-HR vs Mazda CX-3