Voice control

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
AndyRen
Location: Down a bit, down a bit more, right a bit, down a bit.... Right there - Kent

Post by AndyRen »

Past couple of weeks the voice control had seemed to stop functioning (although it works now!) on pressing the 'talk' button on the steering wheel there's been no " Enter your command after the beep" (or 'tone' or whatever) No 'beep' - nothing - have we upset the imp that lives under the dash or have we inadvertently pressed something somewhere to de-activate voice control???
I had a concerted effort to try and fix the problem yesterday and it now works - but what I did I'm not really sure! I wondered if the volume for the 'voice function' was turned right down, so whilst pressing the 'talk' button I also raised the volume rocker on the steering wheel as well - perhaps that's what sorted it?... I don't really know! :shock: but since this concerted effort I've noticed when pressing the 'start' button that 'Loading Voice Activation' appears on the screen - Didn't notice it before, but was never looking for it!

The imp doesn't like responding to the wife's voice anyway (or her finger on the touch sensitive screen - But there again her Ipad is also not very responsive to her touch, although the I ron works flawlessly 8-) ) - She'll say "Call Andy" and the imp will say something like " Calling hairdresser" or somesuch - I think she needs to go through the 'training' area of voice recognition :roll:
16 plate 2L Petrol, 120bhp Soul Red Sport Nav...

jtonline

Post by jtonline »

That's interesting, I use voice control quite often. I think your suggestion of the volume being off is a plausible explanation.

I've not seen 'Loading Voice Activation' message either, but I don't really look at the screen whilst it's booting up.

Your wife's issue with touch sensitive screens could be the result of longish fingernails, whereby it's her fingernail that's tapping the screen and not the pad of her fingertip. Usually solved by changing the angle of the finger against the screen, or using one of those little stylus pens you can buy.

I don't think there's a voice training section on the UK models; she'll just have to learn to speak the Queen's English better ;) I'll leave you to explain that one :lol:
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
AndyRen
Location: Down a bit, down a bit more, right a bit, down a bit.... Right there - Kent

Post by AndyRen »

Thanks for responding JT, hopefully the volume trick sorted it?! Know what you're saying re fingernails but that's certainly not the problem with her and screens - skin sensitivity or something we think.
I haven't looked into it yet, but I hope you're wrong concerning the voice training - she won't like the alternative 😃
AndyRen

Post by AndyRen »

Now here's an interesting post from the Mazda3Revolution Forum with pretty much exactly our problem :-

https://mazda3revolution.com/forums/201 ... rking.html

Member '3mankeen' states it's found in version 59 firmware (but not stating an 'issue' number though!)

And noting our firmware is 59.000.502 I think there may be an update to 000.502 anyone??

I rarely use voice control but my wife (tries!!) to use it often for making calls etc but has found on many occasions on pressing the 'talk' button there is no response from the car at all.... and at other times it all seems to work!
She's actually getting to hate the car that she once loved. :(

Has no one else suffered this at all - can be quite random of course and if you don't use the voice control you would never know.

I wonder if the 'Loading Voice Activation' text at top of the screen at start-up is relevant? ie if it doesn't show then it won't work - Does show then it definitely *will* work?
Boyle de Cabbage

Post by Boyle de Cabbage »

AndyRen wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:18 am
And noting our firmware is 59.000.502 I think there may be an update to 000.502 anyone??
59.00.545 latest
Or 70.00.021A if you are using Android Auto / CarPlay
Mazda paint is crap! Mazda should be ashamed of themselves!.
AndyRen

Post by AndyRen »

Boyle de Cabbage wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:26 pm
AndyRen wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:18 am
59.00.545 latest
Or 70.00.021A if you are using Android Auto / CarPlay
Thanks for that Boyle, sure I've seen it somewhere here before, will have to get down to the dealer for the update when I can.👍
Boyle de Cabbage

AndyRen wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:41 pm
Thanks for that Boyle, sure I've seen it somewhere here before, will have to get down to the dealer for the update when I can.👍
Mazda3revolution.com has links to the firmware + instructions so you can update your own. It takes about 45 minutes and is easy to do.

Although...... If you were thinking of getting a dealer to do it now would be a good time to install the new Android Auto hardware as well and you can then just use Google Voice!
AndyRen

Post by AndyRen »

Thanks again Boyle but I wouldn't be confident in installing new firmware myself - especially as the car is still under warranty - different if it was something that would run from a usb stick as an overlay (similar to CHDK I used for my old S3is Canon bridge camera).

As for installing Android Auto etc, My wife uses Apple tec and I use Android..... What should I choose?? :? :lol:
Boyle de Cabbage

AndyRen wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:51 am
As for installing Android Auto etc, My wife uses Apple tec and I use Android..... What should I choose?? :? :lol:
The Mazda USB Hub update allows users to run either AA or CarPlay. It just depends on the phone you connect. The phone is doing the work and Mazda CMU is acting as a dumb terminal. Good innit? You get free traffic information and automated re-routing around bottlenecks. Mazda's inbuilt system can't compete.
AndyRen

Post by AndyRen »

Ahh OK, I see Apple carplay is £350 add on with the option of adding AA (for a price??) but AA is only controlled via the commander knob, no touch screen touchieness :cry: