Steering wheel leather (?) worn

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
stew.pan

Post by stew.pan »

Hi all,
Any of you folk got or had any issues with the leather on the steering wheel wearing through?
Mine is three years old now and is worn mainly where my hands touch on the rh and lh sides but it has started to wear through at the top now in the form of 'pin pricks' and is started to look a mess. I have never had this on any other car that i have owned since 1969 (and that's a few). I put the main wear down to (possibly) sweat off my hands. As it is now out of warranty by 7 weeks i doubt if i can claim for a new one as a warranty issue. As i said, it's never happened before. I am going to see what they say and if i don't get anywhere i will ask what the cost will be to have a new one fitted. I may even try to re-coat it with a leather dye, have any of you tried this in the past? Anyway, there it is, any feed back will be appreciated. I will keep you informed.
Regards
Stew.

Strangways

Post by Strangways »

Mine is only two years old and shows no sign of wear. I also have an MX5 which is three years old and that also shows no sign of wear. It is a shame you didn't approach Mazda while it was still under warranty, I'm sure they would have considered it at that point.
2019 CX-3 2.0 Sport Nav+ Automatic in ETERNAL BLUE
2015 MX-5 2.0 Sport Nav Manual in SOUL RED
stew.pan

Post by stew.pan »

Hi strangeways,
Thanks for your quick response, You are right, i should have contacted the dealer, it seemed to happen all at once but obviously didn't, time just seems to fly by these days.
S.
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

Repair Guidance ref. R102 /16C was issued 25th November 2016 and revised on 26th April 2017 for this problem.
"Some vehicles may exhibit wear/peel of the leather steering wheel surface causing poor appearance."
CX-3 VIN Range: JMZ DK 100001 - 311561
Production date range: Feb. 10, 2015 - Mar. 8, 2017
A new modified steering wheel is supplied & fitted under warranty.

As yours in only 7 weeks out of warranty it would be worth contacting your dealer and/or Mazda Customer Relations to see if they would entertain a free of charge replacement, or a goodwill contribution to the cost of one of the new steering wheels with improved wear-resistance.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
Deleted User 1027

Post by Deleted User 1027 »

jtonline wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:37 pm Repair Guidance ref. R102 /16C was issued 25th November 2016 and revised on 26th April 2017 for this problem.
"Some vehicles may exhibit wear/peel of the leather steering wheel surface causing poor appearance."
CX-3 VIN Range: JMZ DK 100001 - 311561
Production date range: Feb. 10, 2015 - Mar. 8, 2017
A new modified steering wheel is supplied & fitted under warranty.

As yours in only 7 weeks out of warranty it would be worth contacting your dealer and/or Mazda Customer Relations to see if they would entertain a free of charge replacement, or a goodwill contribution to the cost of one of the new steering wheels with improved wear-resistance.
As above with vehicle just being out of warranty they may offer either a full goodwill or partial good will replacement.
SOMERS

Post by SOMERS »

Wife got a large diamond ring ?
The list is endless, from hand lotion to baby oil.
Every thing we own requires the appropriate maintenance and care .
A steering wheel cover even for a new vehicle is a worth while investment.
stew.pan

Post by stew.pan »

Hi folks
Thanks for your replies, i went to the dealers and the chap said that some models had a problem but as far as he knows it did'nt include the CX-3 but he was'nt 100% about it. He took photos and said he would try his best to get a good outcome. Even though it is just out of warranty he thinks that there may be some good will gesture but as i had my last service and mot at an independent garage there may be only some partial good will. I should find out within a few days. I was told at the same time that there was a recall on the car. It was a filter that needed to be changed, sorry but i can't remember exactly what was said other than if the car was to be booked in for the steering wheel then they would do the filter at the same time. Mean while my wife was looking at the new CX-5's so we will be taking one out for a test drive tomorrow and subject to a good offer on the CX-3 we may (more than likely ) be buying the 'big brother'. The main reason being that due to a disabling (but no disability money) back injury my wife finds it easier to get into the CX-5 much easier than the CX-3. We bought the CX-3 as it was easier to get into than our mazda 3 tokuya !! Take life by the scruff of its neck before life takes you by the scruff of your neck!.
All the best
Stew.
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

stew.pan wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:31 pm ...i went to the dealers and the chap said that some models had a problem but as far as he knows it did'nt include the CX-3 but he was'nt 100% about it...
Stew, all he has to do is look on his computer for the Mazda document I quoted.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
mum@mazda

Post by mum@mazda »

Interesting.

I too have premature wear on the leather, but thought little of it.

Does anyone have a copy of the document that i can wave under the nose of my dealer? They have not been to helpful of late. :(
CX-3, Sport Nav, Petrol, Soul Red Metallic, Half Stone Leather Aug 2015
stew.pan

Post by stew.pan »

Hi folks,
Steering wheel warranty issue turned down, reason being i had the first and second years service with them but the third years service and mot was carried out by an independent garage so loyalty was compromised!! The car was 3 years and 2 months old even failed on 'good will' !
I normally change my car every 4 years so i brought it forward and bought a New CX-5. Picking it up next week. Happy days.
Re- CX-3, after much farting about i did get 4 new alloys under warranty off them and after more farting about got a forward facing camera replaced under warranty. I had to Phone and visit the dealers several times in each case as they never ever phoned me back, I had to phone them twice about the steering wheel as they once again failed to phone back when they said they would. They have had £40 thousand plus off me between 2011 and 2015 plus servicing up to July 2017 so i thought it a bit petty about the steering wheel. Anyway that's in the past. After this CX-5, (my third Mazda) unless they come up with an entirely new model etc i will more than likely go back to Honda,or if my wife will let me spend the money, a Lexus.
I am not leaving the forum. There are some very knowledgeable people on this forum which have helped me in the passed and no doubt if i asked, would help me again, very much appreciated.
Regards
Stew
ps
Next time i post it will be about a minor body repair i had done on the CX-3 which i hope maybe of some help to you in the future, though i hope you will not need it.