Screen resetting whilst driving

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
Looneytoonz

Post by Looneytoonz »

Hi, my infotainment screen keeps resetting whilst I'm driving, usually within a few minutes of setting off but occasionally mid journey too. I thought it probably just needed updating so I put the SD card in my PC and found that it needed a map update (not sure if that would fix this though) but was unable to download the update as the SD card is full. Do you have to delete everything off the card first? I thought the update would just overwrite the old data! Thanks for any help.
Black CX3 Sport Nav 2.0 Petrol Manual with Body Kit.

santa

Post by santa »

What version is Your infotainment?
If it's the entire system resetting it's more likely the infotainment system itself that needs and update and not the map for the NAV part (which is done via the SD card).
Unfortunately the only things that can be updated by the user is the map for NAV and the Gracenote Database.
Mazda CX-30 2.0 150HP Aut. Cosmo w. Tech Pack in Arctic White, 2023.
Looneytoonz

Post by Looneytoonz »

Hi thanks for the reply. Yes, it's the whole system that just turns off and then after a couple of minutes reboots and starts back up. Version number is 56.00.513 EU N and music database version 00.08.000. I've called Mazda and got it booked in for a warranty check but they don't think the software update is covered by warranty and the Nav update requires a new SD card which also isn't covered by warranty.
santa

Post by santa »

The newest version is 59 something, so you should have Them update it.
Luckily My dealer does the update free of charge and yours should too.
You shouldn't need a New sd card for the map update. Just use the mazda tool software to update it.
Mazda CX-30 2.0 150HP Aut. Cosmo w. Tech Pack in Arctic White, 2023.
Strangways

Post by Strangways »

This should be included under manufacturers warranty, but not if it's an extended warranty.
2019 CX-3 2.0 Sport Nav+ Automatic in ETERNAL BLUE
2015 MX-5 2.0 Sport Nav Manual in SOUL RED
Looneytoonz

Post by Looneytoonz »

Thanks all, it's booked in for the 4th Oct so hopefully they'll update the software FOC as the car isn't even 2 years old yet and help with the map update, I just can't update the maps as it says I haven't got enough space on the card but I don't want to delete stuff that I might need.
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

As already mentioned, the MZD Connect operating system update should be carried out free of charge under warranty by your dealer, as they have an issue reported by you that they can put on their claim form to get the labour cost reimbursed by Mazda.

It is certainly worth getting the OS updated, but has the MZD Connect system only just started to reset itself whilst driving? Does it only reset when it's loading the map or displaying the map? If it's been OK for two years and has only just started to exhibit these symptoms, then it seems unlikely that it's down to the current OS version. More concerning is the fact that you say your SD Card won't update because there isn't enough space on it; there's something not quite right there.

Have you updated the maps successfully in the past? The Mazda Toolbox software has an SD Diagnostics option and I suggest your dealer runs that to get a report about your card. Amongst other things it will say how much used and free space is on the card. If it's gone faulty through no fault of your own, then that should be replaced under warranty. If the restarting is sat nav related, then you could also have a fault with the SD card reader in the car.

Hopefully, they'll get it sorted for you on 4th Oct.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
HouseSpider

Post by HouseSpider »

Try starting without the SD card inserted. Everything should work bar the Sat Nav - you'll get a compass instead. This may help narrowing down the cause of the issue.
Sports Nav Auto Petrol 2017, 131bhp (chipped), Soul Red, Half Stone Leather, Safety Pack, Arm Rest, Auto Folding Mirror Kit, Detachable Tow Bar, HatchBag Boot Liner, Stebel Nautilus Compact horn. Space saver.
Looneytoonz

Post by Looneytoonz »

Thanks again for the replies, I have indeed updated the maps in the past without a problem. The screen resetting issue has been going on for a few months but appears to be getting more frequent. I ran the SD card diagnostic on the toolbox and it said it was fine. I'll try driving without the card inserted but hopefully the dealer will sort it.
st3v3cx-3

Post by st3v3cx-3 »

Looneytoonz wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:22 pm Thanks all, it's booked in for the 4th Oct so hopefully they'll update the software FOC as the car isn't even 2 years old yet and help with the map update, I just can't update the maps as it says I haven't got enough space on the card but I don't want to delete stuff that I might need.
I last updated my SD card in July. These were the stats per the SD Diagnostics :-

Map of Europe May 2018
Navigation engine software version = 9.12.129.694912
Space used on SD card = 6.86 GB
Total space on SD card = 7.39 GB

So there is still roughly 0.5 GB free space on the card. I don't know if Favourites and History are saved on the card - I've probably got around 20-30 favourites and the history was probably fairly empty.

Be interesting to compare to your SD card stats.

A second thought is are you sure it was referring to the free space on your SD card and not the free space on your PC? Later needs around 10GB free space for the download to work. After downloading and installing an updated version of Navigation software you will find the file(s) have still been saved on the desktop/laptop !!! On a Windows system they are stored in the following folder and if necessary can be deleted to free-up space :-

C:\Users\{desktop name or similar}\Appdata\Roaming\Mazda\download_cache\

NB: I'm not 100% certain if the restore process used by Mazda Toolbox would use these files. The backup process only takes a couple of seconds so that can only be is merely updating some flag on the server or the user's PC. As my PC has limited free space I have deleted the files in that folder after each SD card update and fingers crossed I've not had to carry out a restore process to check exactly what happens :o
Sport Nav Petrol Automatic FWD Arctic White plus options April 2016