Noise!

All Mazda CX-3 related discussions
MartC

Post by MartC »

My Tyres shows a few options.
https://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop ... uchen=Show tyres&Ang_pro_Seite=10&rsmFahrzeugart=ALL&search_tool=standard&weiter=0
The 18" size is a job to get locally though.
CX-3 Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol, Manual, Dynamic Blue

Mazdaman72

Post by Mazdaman72 »

I had my first motorway trip Wed evening on the M40 I was travelling at 80 mph and could have done with some ear defenders, the noise is horrendous not sure what the road surfacing was or whether it is the tyres but I wouldn't want to do it for any long trips.
st3v3cx-3

Post by st3v3cx-3 »

Mazdaman72 wrote: ↑Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:17 am I had my first motorway trip Wed evening on the M40 I was travelling at 80 mph and could have done with some ear defenders, the noise is horrendous not sure what the road surfacing was or whether it is the tyres but I wouldn't want to do it for any long trips.
I'm sure a lot of complaints re tyre noise is really due to the road surface. I've been on roads where it has been resurfaced in stages and the difference in sound is very marked - the new surface being so quite. Have also driven on surfaces where it sounds like the tyre has a nail or something else embedded in it. That's in addition to those roads where joins between the concrete sections make the car sound like an old train carriage on old style rails.
Sport Nav Petrol Automatic FWD Arctic White plus options April 2016
zoylander

Post by zoylander »

Mazdaman72 wrote: ↑Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:17 am I had my first motorway trip Wed evening on the M40 I was travelling at 80 mph and could have done with some ear defenders, the noise is horrendous not sure what the road surfacing was or whether it is the tyres but I wouldn't want to do it for any long trips.
Welcome to the stressful noisy world of the CX-3. I started this thread in search of suggestions to overcome the problem, and these ranged from quieter tyres and soundproofing (sensible) to turning up the stereo (infantile). Driving in a 20 mph zone this morning on an admittedly worn road surface, the noise was still unacceptably high.

Mazda were well aware of the problem, hence the increased sound insulation on the facelifted version. If this is what you have bought, pity those of us stuck with the original version still on the original tyres. When the wretched Bridgestone Turanzas need replacing I will be fitting Michelin Cross Climates, and if I am still not happy, after market soundproofing will follow, although I resent having to do what Mazda should have done at the manufacturing stage.
CX-3 SE 2.0L 2WD Auto. 43.5mpg.
Trewithy

Post by Trewithy »

Mazda is reported to be dropping the multi-link rear suspension in favour of a torsion beam in an effort to reduce road noise in the next generation CX-3.
See - https://uk.motor1.com/news/265330/next- ... -3-rumors/
Strangways

Post by Strangways »

I must be going deaf in my old age. Last saloon was an Alpha 156, the CX3 is so much quieter than that and of course a lot quieter than the MX5. Jinba Ittai they say, be one with car, it works for me, but not everybody. I did put Falkens on the front of my car and it did reduce the noise. Problem is I can now hear my wife. :lol:
2019 CX-3 2.0 Sport Nav+ Automatic in ETERNAL BLUE
2015 MX-5 2.0 Sport Nav Manual in SOUL RED
AndyRen
Location: Down a bit, down a bit more, right a bit, down a bit.... Right there - Kent

Post by AndyRen »

Everything is relative - if you're used to driving a Jag then the CX-3 will be noisy, a low center of gravity soft top sports machine... then the CX-3 will appear quieter...
But my experience with Bridgestone tyres was not favourable, they lasted for ages - because they were so very hard - and subsequently very noisy, I am pleased with the Toyo's fitted as standard on mine.
Just returned from a week in Bungay in Suffolk- up and then back down the A12, which has a variety of surfaces from smooth asphalt to rough concrete slabs with plastic joints and really didn't give noise much thought.
16 plate 2L Petrol, 120bhp Soul Red Sport Nav...
Deleted User 1027

Post by Deleted User 1027 »

My updated CX3 with better sound insulation and Toyo tyres is very quiet.
Mazdaman72

Post by Mazdaman72 »

Thanks for all your thoughts mine is 2017 model so when the time comes i will look at different tyres but that is someway off as for sound proofing
is there anything available to try.
HouseSpider

Post by HouseSpider »

I do agree, everything is relative. If you turn the volume up on the Bose stereo (for those who have got a Sports Nav) the road noise will appear to reduce πŸ˜πŸ˜‰.
I do find the road noise decreasing with the wear of the tyre. But then it could be my hearing degrading with age and that's why I have to turn the stereo up. 🀣
It seems to be the concrete roads which are the main issue. However with different materials being used for the surface course of the road to achieve a high psv, texture depths etc (instead of using resin based high friction surfacing for instance), and all for the safety of the road user, you're going to find a huge variation of the amount of noise your tyres produce on different roads.
Sports Nav Auto Petrol 2017, 131bhp (chipped), Soul Red, Half Stone Leather, Safety Pack, Arm Rest, Auto Folding Mirror Kit, Detachable Tow Bar, HatchBag Boot Liner, Stebel Nautilus Compact horn. Space saver.