Mazda CX-3 Vs Kia Sorento Vs Skoda Kodiaq?

All Mazda CX-3 related discussions
Physiogirl

Post by Physiogirl »

Hi

This is my first post but I'm really hoping by joining you can all help me.

I'm in the process of picking which car is right for me and after tying several cars I decided on the Mazda CX-3 as I felt it was big enough and suits my needs but the reason I need your help is because my sister thinks I should go for a bigger car even though I really want to get the CX-3. I did test drive the two cars she thinks I should go for ( my sister and her 3yr old son lives with me and further into this post I'll explain more) the Kia Sorento and the Skoda Kodiaq but I really don't feel I need a car that big hence why I'm stuck as all three are lovely cars but not only do I feel that I don't need a car that big but the Kodiaq and Sorento are way more expensive and I'm not 100% sure I can afford either were the CX-3 I know I can afford.

All three suit what I need and I have test drove all three and liked all three. Below I will Wright some of the things that are important to me.

1) i will be driving 300 miles a week and live in a very isolated village and we get very bad winters here when it does snow so being able to drive though the snow is very important as we have no supermarkets or shops ect were we like we are a very , very small village , my nephew goes to nursery in the next town to us which is 30 mins drive ( I pick him up as my sister works in the evening) and I work 1hr away from were we live. So it's important that I can drive out of the village and not let the snow be a problem. I think I read as long as I have good winter tyres the CX-3 will do just as well as the bigger cars.

2) I suffer with fibromyalgia and back issues so comfty seats and heated seats\ steering wheel are important so I don't get stuff

3) due to suffering tinnitus a car that's not to noisy ( the only noise that can be a problem is road noise , tyre noise ect. )

4) reliable

5) able to carry two large dogs in crates in the back ( a German shepherd and a golden retriever)

The car will be used for , daily commute to work and then picking my nephew up after work , day trips , shopping trips, trips to the vet , grocery shopping ect.

The reason my sister wants me to have a bigger car than the CX-3 is we always have to hire a car for holidays as my sister's car is not big enough , she owns a Mazda 3 hatchback, and there's not enough room for me, my sister, my mom ( who comes on holiday with us) , my nephew and 2 large dogs let alone luggage so we always hire and my sister thinks if I got the bigger car we won't need to hire anymore but I just think that's a waste of a big car as apart from that one time going on holiday we are never in the car all at once for example most week days it will be just me during the day and my nephew in the evening , then shopping trips are the only time we all in the car so I just don't see the point in getting a big car like the Sorento or Kodiaq when 80% of the time it's just me and my nephew in the car. I just thought for holidays and day trips with the dogs that I could have the dogs and my sister could have the luggage that way we all still go on holiday without hiring if that makes sense.

I thought that my plan would be better as I can't help but think of what the service costs and maintenance costs are for such a big car like the Sorento compared to the CX-3 as I'm the one paying for the services ect and only so we have a bigger car for holidays ect that's why I think my idea is better of using two cars my and hers instead of buying a car bigger than I need.

The reason I joined is in hope I get get an outside view advice and to see if CX-3 owners agree that the CX-3 seems right for the needs above.

jtonline

Post by jtonline »

Welcome to the forums.

I don't know the Kia Sorento or Skoda Kodiaq. Have you considered the Mazda CX-5?

1) The CX-3 AWD model has good handling and, with winter tyres fitted, does a pretty good job in the snow. But it's not a true SUV off-road vehicle and has its limitations.

2) I have bad back issues and find the manual seats in the early model CX-3 comfy. I can't vouch for the new models, but I imagine they're better or as good.

3) The early models do not have a quiet interior, but Mazda have improved levels of sound insulation on newer models. The make of tyres fitted will have a bearing on road noise and everyone has different ideas of what they consider as too noisy. If you can arrange an extended test drive that may help you decide on noise and seat comfort for your particular circumstances.

4) There is a three year manufacturer's warranty and roadside assistance included.

5) That may well be a problem. Take your crates to a dealer and see if they'll fit.

6) IMO, it won't be big enough for your expected holiday trips, so you'd have to continue with hiring a suitable car for those occasions.

I hope that's been of some use, and I'm sure there'll be some more members posting their opinions in due course.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

With snow drifts this deep on the roads into work in March, I had to stay at home until the tractors managed to dig a way through :shock: :lol:

snow-on-commute.jpg

Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
GeeJam

Post by GeeJam »

Speaking on behalf of most CX-3 owners here (except JT who is always helpful) I don't believe any of us here are sufficiently qualified to provide a suitable solution to your anxiety over what car to buy. I'm really sorry.

If, as you say, you need a comfy (to counteract the chronic widespread pain associated with fibromyalgia), well heated and quiet vehicle (to reduce the effects of tinnitus) that is also capable of driving 300 miles per week (15K per annum); able to drive through bad winter snow from your isolated village; carry two large dogs, plus your mum, plus your sister and your 3-year old nephew and all their luggage (on holiday) and be able to cope with regular shopping trips, grocery trips, vet visits and evenings spent collecting your nephew from to the nearest town 30 minutes away . . . .

Sounds as if a long wheelbase Land Rover Defender might suit the bill, or a Winnebago on caterpillar tracks, or put the dogs in kennels and go abroad for your holidays or sell your house and move nearer to a town. Personally Physiogirl, some serious lifestyle changes need to be considered before you buy the brilliant Mazda CX-3. The choice is down to you.

Maybe JT's suggestion of a CX-5 is better suited for you.

Good luck.
CX-3 Sport Nav 2.0L Petrol. Manual. Soul Red & Half Stone interior. From new Sept 2015. South Lincolnshire UK.
GeeJam

Post by GeeJam »

Incidentally, great photo JT to remind us that, despite what we're constantly told, dear Mother Nature doesn't always play ball with all those global warming model predictions.
CX-3 Sport Nav 2.0L Petrol. Manual. Soul Red & Half Stone interior. From new Sept 2015. South Lincolnshire UK.
HouseSpider

Post by HouseSpider »

Things to consider:
The CX-3 AWD only comes in petrol. The new version in both auto & manual, the old version in just manual.
The usual advice in bad weather is not to travel unless absolutely necessary. If you struggle to drive to the next town in snow to take your nephew to school who is to say the teachers and other pupils will be able to get in safely. And preparation in advance of bad weather reduces the need to go out in the first place for other reasons including shopping.
The CX-3 boot would be too small for two dogs of the size you are quoting even before considering the cages unless you put the rear seats down. We have a Border Collie who only just fits in the boot comfortably. As JT suggests take your crates to the dealers to make sure they fit in. I had a dog cage for a previous vehicle and despite the dimensions supposedly being adequate the actual shape of the vehicle interior made it alot more awkward and a tighter squeeze than it should have been.
To fit four people, two large dogs and luggage in to a vehicle will really narrow your options and most probably increase the cost of what you get unless you get a Dacia Duster. However there is no reason you couldn’t take two cars and only use one for day trips when you are there.
Most importantly you must buy the car for yourself and your reasons and preferences. If you buy for someone else’s reasons and preferences you will only be disappointed. If your sister wants a bigger car why doesn’t she trade her Mazda in for a larger vehicle herself. My wife has a Seat Leon and wanted me to get a Seat Ateca, even putting down a deposit on one. No way was I accepting that and opted/purcahsed for the CX-3.
Whatever car you do get I would recommend a bootliner from the Hatchbag Company.
Sports Nav Auto Petrol 2017, 131bhp (chipped), Soul Red, Half Stone Leather, Safety Pack, Arm Rest, Auto Folding Mirror Kit, Detachable Tow Bar, HatchBag Boot Liner, Stebel Nautilus Compact horn. Space saver.
zoylander

Post by zoylander »

As a fellow tinnitus sufferer may I offer the following advice.
You are looking to buy a new car for yourself, not your sister.
If you value your back and your hearing, don't buy a CX-3.
CX-3 SE 2.0L 2WD Auto. 43.5mpg.
Physiogirl

Post by Physiogirl »

As a fellow tinnitus suffer you'll understand when I say as much as I value my back I value my ears more so thanks that's all I needed to help in my decision if a fellow tinnitus suffer wouldn't recommend it then I won't buy. The reason I will value Zoylanders opinion a tad more ( no offence to everyone else) is because Zoylander will now extractly how tinnitus ruins your life and the best thing to do to prevent it getting worse is the prevent further damage.

This will be cheeky of my Zoylander but are there any cars that are quiter that you would recommend I test drive?
Deleted User 1027

Post by Deleted User 1027 »

This will be cheeky of my Zoylander but are there any cars that are quiter that you would recommend I test drive?

I hope Zoylander can answer this and then he can go out and buy one and stop his moaning on this forum.
If he dosen't like the car sell it and buy one he does.Yes there are always a few issues with whatever car you buy but that is why you should have a long test drive.
Who in there right mind spends so much money without doing proper homework.

Good luck Physiogirl and my advice is test drive test drive and test drive.
Mazdaman72

Post by Mazdaman72 »

I like my CX3 and i also play golf so to get my kit in the rear seats have to be down not good if you have more than one passenger you also might struggle with dog crates, road noise on poor surface is not good ,seats are comfortable, climate control leaves a bit to be desired, power fuel consumption good in fact I call it my pocket rocket. My opinion for what its worth go for something bigger.