Aircon failures

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
Chas

Post by Chas »

Are people still having issues with leaking aircon systems ?

Strangways

Post by Strangways »

Hi Chas, I certainly hope not. That was due to a bad batch of chinese built coils using inferior aluminium. As far as I'm aware all those coils have now been replaced. If they were faulty they would have failed by now.
2019 CX-3 2.0 Sport Nav+ Automatic in ETERNAL BLUE
2015 MX-5 2.0 Sport Nav Manual in SOUL RED
AndyRen
Location: Down a bit, down a bit more, right a bit, down a bit.... Right there - Kent

Post by AndyRen »

My 16 model has no mention anywhere of any aircon part replacements so perhaps there could be issues that rear their head next year? Had no problems last summer but who knows?
16 plate 2L Petrol, 120bhp Soul Red Sport Nav...
Kimm

Post by Kimm »

My 66 plates air con failed last April and was replaced June and has been fine ever since. It was only cars manufactured between certain dates that had the problem but if it’s been replaced and you’re still having problems then I’d get it looked at if I were you.
CX-3 Sports Nav AWD
Jakeyboy

Post by Jakeyboy »

My 2016 CX3 Aircon also failed last year and the condenser was replaced under warranty.
Mazda CX3 SE 2.0 Petrol in arctic white
AndyRen
Location: Down a bit, down a bit more, right a bit, down a bit.... Right there - Kent

Post by AndyRen »

Well, my aircon has packed up and will be looked into next week at the 3 yr service, it has also been hard to maintain a decent temperature (too hot!) over the past few weeks so I think the control logic may need changing? I'll mention that to them as well. 1st mot in May and the end of warranty so want everything sorted!
16 plate 2L Petrol, 120bhp Soul Red Sport Nav...
Stedmeister

Post by Stedmeister »

Our 2016 sport nav had the condenser replaced a few weeks ago. “All nice and cool” I remember the service staff saying. This is my partners car so I don’t drive it often (which is a shame as I think it’s great) but when I did I realised the air con was still not working. Was back in at the dealers last week and they have diagnosed it needs a new evaporator. Driving it today I noticed the blower only blows out cold air when the knob is turned all the way to the left, even one notch up and the air comes out warm. I thought this may be a control panel issue but we have been assured it’s down to the evaporator. Will see next week when it goes in for the third time in three weeks. Souring our initial impressions of the Mazda experience but hopefully once this is done we will be “cooking on gas”. Hope so anyway as warranty expires end of this month. I would get a reassurance from your dealer that if they don’t fix it first time it will still be covered under warranty.
2016 Soul Red Sport Nav. Manual petrol.
IWRA

Post by IWRA »

I had the same issues and had to insist that they replace the control panel in order to get the A/C working correctly after condenser and evaporator replacement. I have never been impressed with the climate controls ability to adequately control the cabin temperature.
Mazda CX-3 1.5 2WD Manual Sport Nav - Soul red with half stone leather
st3v3cx-3

Post by st3v3cx-3 »

I had the exact same problem back in Mar 2017 when I found the air con was only giving out cold air when on the very lowest setting. The condenser had already been replaced a year earlier.

Problem was fixed by replacement of the control unit - symptoms of that problem is "customer decreases the set temperature but the blow-out air temperature does not change that much as expected and remains too warm. If it is adjusted to “Max. Cold” then too much cold air blows out and it is difficult to adjust the cabin temperature comfortable."

If your car has been produced before Sep 2016 then they should automatically change the control unit when these symptoms are reported assuming there are no problems with leaks from either the condenser or evaporator.
Sport Nav Petrol Automatic FWD Arctic White plus options April 2016
Strangways

Post by Strangways »

I had the same problem on my old 66 reg model. There is an ambient sensor set at 10 deg C that changes the heating set point or opens the heating valve a bit more. I asked my dealer to disconnect the sensor, I'm not sure whether they just did that or if they changed the whole control unit, but it worked fine afterwards.
2019 CX-3 2.0 Sport Nav+ Automatic in ETERNAL BLUE
2015 MX-5 2.0 Sport Nav Manual in SOUL RED