CarPlay finally

All Mazda CX-3 related discussions
Deleted User 1027

Post by Deleted User 1027 »

So what is the cost of the parts and part numbers and are you going to do a full review of the fitting.
Thanks
Mark

jtonline

Post by jtonline »

Hi Mark,

Part numbers for the hardware are as per the Mazda UK website, namely:

1 x USB cable assembly C830-V6-60Z (Set of two USB cables and 9 or more cable ties)
1 x Urethane Sponge Tape Set C830-V6-693 (To prevent rattling from cables)
1 x Apple Car Play / Android Auto Hub Unit TK78-66-9U0C (Replaces existing USB ports/SD Card Reader/Aux socket)
1 x Supplement User Manual 4100-77-300EN

Cost me £174.37 inc. VAT from the parts dept. of my Mazda dealer.

Before installing the above parts, the Operating System for the UK MZD Connect CMU must be upgraded to version EU 70.00.21A or later (at the time of writing, version EU 70.00.100A ideally) as it can't be done after the new hardware is installed. The OS can be upgraded by a Mazda approved repairer, or you can do it yourself from files you can find on the internet.

I'll try and get a write-up done for my blog in due course for those that are interested, but I couldn't record a video whilst I was doing the work. Basically, the procedure is to:-

Update the OS;
Wrap the sponge tape around the cables;
Remove the glove box;
Disconnect and remove the existing hub (this involves removing various other dashboard parts, or you can do like I did and just purposely break it by drilling it out);
Connect the new USB hub including the new USB cables and install it in the dashboard;
Disconnect and remove the CMU, then feed the new cables up through the dashboard and cable tie at various points:
Coil up the excess cable lengths and cable tie to existing wiring loom behind the dashboard member CMU bracket;
Reconnect CMU including the new USB cables and reinstall in the dashboard;
Reinstall the glovebox;
Connect 'phone and test.

:D
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
hsdejong

Post by hsdejong »

jtonline wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:56 pm Before installing the above parts, the Operating System for the UK MZD Connect CMU must be upgraded to version EU 70.00.21A or later (at the time of writing, version EU 70.00.100A ideally) as it can't be done after the new hardware is installed. The OS can be upgraded by a Mazda approved repairer, or you can do it yourself from files you can find on the internet.
The only "files you can find on the internet" website I know of lists the version "cmu150_EU_70.00.100A" as the latest and only option.

I do not have and do not intend to install the hardware for CarPlay and have version "cmu150_EU_59.00.545A" installed.
This version is moved to the "Outdated Firmware" section of the website lately.

Does that mean that version "cmu150_EU_70.00.100A" is also the latest version for cars without the CarPlay hardware option?
  • Mazda CX-5 2023 Exclusive-Line (Black Comfort Pack) Petrol FWD Manual Soul Red Crystal Metallic
Deleted User 1027

Post by Deleted User 1027 »

When I asked for my firmware to be updated at the end of November it was to the 7 series even though I don't have car play etc so I guess the answer is yes.
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

I'm tempted by this kit, in part because it should work out cheaper than paying for map updates but if i understand correctly, the phone needs to be plugged in to the new USB port?

The iphones are too big to sit in the space in front of the USB ports, especially when plugged in...
igloo_si

Post by igloo_si »

yes it has to be plugged in
Petrol Ceramic White SE-L 03/16 CX3
hsdejong

Post by hsdejong »

MJC1216 wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:15 am When I asked for my firmware to be updated at the end of November it was to the 7 series even though I don't have car play etc so I guess the answer is yes.
To make things more confusing:
The "HiDrive" website has moved version "cmu150_EU_59.00.545A" back from the the "Outdated Firmware" section to the regular "EU N" section...
  • Mazda CX-5 2023 Exclusive-Line (Black Comfort Pack) Petrol FWD Manual Soul Red Crystal Metallic
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

Greenman wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:39 pm ...The iphones are too big to sit in the space in front of the USB ports, especially when plugged in.
I put my iPhone 6s in the space in front of the USB ports. I connect it via a short (20cm) USB lead that has a right-angled plug on the end that goes into the phone. However, it doesn't matter if the phone doesn't lie horizontal, as once Apple Car Play is showing on the MZD Connect there's no need to look at or touch the phone.
Julian.
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
Gadgetman

Post by Gadgetman »

A question re the “drilling out” of the old hub. I have the new kit to install this weekend. I don’t really want to wreck the old hub but then again I’d rather not be removing all of the console trim to get access.

Would the old USB hub not be removable simply by sliding the CD player out, which is directly up above it? No room to get a hand in to unclip via the removed glove box opening?

Can’t wait to be able to ditch the incredibly frustrating ‘mind of its own’ Mazda Satnav!
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

I don't think you can do it by just removing the CD player, because the hub is held tightly by clips on its top and bottom surfaces; but give it a try. I was impatient and also didn't have any CD player removal keys ;)

You won't be able to reach the back of the hub just by removing the glovebox, but you do need to remove it (which takes seconds), to reach up and unclip the trim behind the CMU screen and also to route the USB cables.

Not my video, or a CX-3 ~

Let us know how you get on. I've been using Waze on Apple CarPlay quite successfully.
Julian.