Engine violently shaking

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
Kimm

Post by Kimm »

Got in my car this morning, started the engine, put the car into reverse, dropped the handbrake went to move and nothing happened, checked I was in gear, checked handbrake was off and then suddenly the engine started to shake and I mean really shake. I’ve never experienced anything like that from any car ever in 32 years of driving. I quickly pulled the handbrake on, put the car in neutral and put my feet flat on the floor, I did consider getting out and legging it because it actually sounded like it was going to go bang but the revs then died down as the choke went off and everything reverted to normal. What the hell was that all about?? Any ideas? It’s a petrol engine, all wheel drive and 27 months old.
CX-3 Sports Nav AWD

anchorman

Post by anchorman »

Sounds like a misfire for some reason. Could be brought on by damp weather and while it isn’t right, I wouldn’t worry about it. You might be due for some new plugs or even an air filter (if it gets clogged it will run very rich at start up). See how it goes and get somebody to cast their eye over it as soon as you get chance.
CX-5 Sportnav diesel auto. AWD
Kimm

Post by Kimm »

anchorman wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:15 pm Sounds like a misfire for some reason. Could be brought on by damp weather and while it isn’t right, I wouldn’t worry about it. You might be due for some new plugs or even an air filter (if it gets clogged it will run very rich at start up). See how it goes and get somebody to cast their eye over it as soon as you get chance.
Thanks. It was only serviced in October but I’ll find the paperwork out and see what they did while they had it.
CX-3 Sports Nav AWD
Kimm

Post by Kimm »

Kimm wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:03 am
anchorman wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:15 pm Sounds like a misfire for some reason. Could be brought on by damp weather and while it isn’t right, I wouldn’t worry about it. You might be due for some new plugs or even an air filter (if it gets clogged it will run very rich at start up). See how it goes and get somebody to cast their eye over it as soon as you get chance.
Thanks. It was only serviced in October but I’ll find the paperwork out and see what they did while they had it.
Just had a look at the paperwork and the following was done
Oil and filter change
Brake fluid change
Pollen filter change
Engine oil
Sump plug washer
Cartridge oil
Brake fluid
Filter, cooling
There was no plug change on the first service or this one so I’m still running on the original plugs is that normal?
CX-3 Sports Nav AWD
st3v3cx-3

Post by st3v3cx-3 »

The plugs don't need replacing till you've done 75,000 miles. See this extract from the 2016 Owners Manual :-

Mazda CX-3 Service Schedule.pdf
(155.95 KiB) Downloaded 242 times
Sport Nav Petrol Automatic FWD Arctic White plus options April 2016
Kimm

Post by Kimm »

st3v3cx-3 wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:46 am The plugs don't need replacing till you've done 75,000 miles. See this extract from the 2016 Owners Manual :-

Mazda CX-3 Service Schedule.pdf
Thanks. It was absolutely fine this morning when I started it but it’s nowhere near as cold at 7c. Fingers crossed it was just a cold start and it never does it again but if it does I’ll get it booked it to be looked at. It’s a strange car, I’ve twice now had a terrible rattle on the drivers door but I open and close it again and it’s fine and it’s not done it again in over year, very peculiar!
CX-3 Sports Nav AWD
anchorman

Post by anchorman »

Although the plugs aren’t scheduled for changing, one can occasionally develop a fault where it will break down under very cold or damp conditions. The same could however be said for the coils which are positioned directly over the plug. However, as the plugs are the wearing parts, I would go for them first but only if it persists.
CX-5 Sportnav diesel auto. AWD