Mazda CX-3 iStop - problem or no problem?

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
Dogfuzz

Post by Dogfuzz »

Mine's been working fine these last few sunny warm days.
However , a wet rainy days, cold days, "fan on" days , it sometimes DON'T.

I'm sure it benefits urban users waiting for traffic lights more than us rural folk-but so what. It's useful to have a toy that maybe saves a bit of fuel rather than none.

My only concern is that if it gets too temperamental or impacts on any form of regular running performance -it will seriously annoy-but then--I could just switch it off!
CX-3 SPORT NAV ,5 DOOR HATCHBACK,1998CC,PETROL-2018

Strangways

Post by Strangways »

I don't think it impacts on anything apart from reduced running costs and less emissions. It switches off and it switches on, it saves me money (albeit only a small amount) I cannot understand why anybody complains. Maybe they are just grumpy old men with nothing better to do. :lol:
2019 CX-3 2.0 Sport Nav+ Automatic in ETERNAL BLUE
2015 MX-5 2.0 Sport Nav Manual in SOUL RED
hsdejong

Post by hsdejong »

Two video's about start/stop systems:

By the way: I have iStop "on" while driving my CX-3.
  • Mazda CX-5 2023 Exclusive-Line (Black Comfort Pack) Petrol FWD Manual Soul Red Crystal Metallic
hsdejong

Post by hsdejong »

Kris wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:20 pm iStop ma dodatkowy wewnętrzny kondensator / akumulator, który odpowiada za właściwe i poprawne działanie systemu iStop, więc tam tkwi problem....
Translated:
"iStop has an additional internal capacitor / battery, which is responsible for the proper and correct operation of the iStop system, so there is a problem...."

In my CX-3 I can't find an additional battery to support the start/stop system.
There is only one battery that is especially suitable for Mazda's iStop.

http://www.mazda.com/en/innovation/tech ... nv/i-stop/
Last edited by hsdejong on Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Mazda CX-5 2023 Exclusive-Line (Black Comfort Pack) Petrol FWD Manual Soul Red Crystal Metallic
DaveG

Post by DaveG »

fourbanks wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:26 pm well it depends on who you take note from with regards it being on or off and how the public worldwide feel about it. my findings from the true experts who actually work on cars day in day out would prefer it in the default position of off
We need a referendum.... :lol: sorry I mean peoples vote :roll:
CX3 Sport Nav - Petrol - Auto - safety pack - snowflake white - 2019
AndyRen
Location: Down a bit, down a bit more, right a bit, down a bit.... Right there - Kent

Post by AndyRen »

hsdejong wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:44 pm
Kris wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:20 pm iStop ma dodatkowy wewnętrzny kondensator / akumulator, który odpowiada za właściwe i poprawne działanie systemu iStop, więc tam tkwi problem....
Translated:
"iStop has an additional internal capacitor / battery, which is responsible for the proper and correct operation of the iStop system, so there is a problem...."

In my CX-3 I can't find an additional battery to support the start/stop system.
There is only one battery that is especially suitable for Mazda's iStop.

http://www.mazda.com/en/innovation/tech ... nv/i-stop/
I think Kris is referring to the I-Eloop regenerative charging capacitor?.....
http://owners-manual.mazda.com/gen/en/2 ... 70100.html

Of course - with the caveat of .... (Some Models) and only The Gods know which!
16 plate 2L Petrol, 120bhp Soul Red Sport Nav...
Cristian1959

Post by Cristian1959 »

We found a German forum on a way to disable I-Stop.

Lift the engine bonnet.

The bonnet closure system has a plastic rectangular protection that needs to be removed. There are 4 holes on the front of the lid, the second left, the second right, with a screwdriver inserted into the big holes, you will unlock the plastic cover by pulling up.

You will notice a microcontact from which an electric cable goes.

The microcontact is secured with a bonnet lock bolt, unclip the microcontact and insert a small 5mm plastic piece between the base of the microswitch metal lever and the actuator button so that the metallic blade does not act on the microcontact. I cut 5 mm from https://www.sarmis-electrice.ro/colier- ... 0-x-4-5-72.

This micro switch disables opening the I-stop when the car is in service with the hood.

I hope I made myself understood, better at work.
MAZDA CX 3 G150 AT, AWD, REVOLUTION TOP,
doug_au

Post by doug_au »

Read about six pages here and although this is an old topic I think it may be worth a couple of points.

istop may not work for the first 800 miles as this is the running in period and it may not be good for running in.
istop doesn't save enough fuel to make it worthwhile.

the special battery and charging via the alternator: No car battery likes being charged from a low to mid state via the alternator, in fact doing this is shortening the life of a modern car battery. Do this often and goodbye battery. If you go away for a few weeks you should attach a modern sensing charger like this mob sell https://no.co/products and let it trickle charge to keep the battery at 100%.. I disconnect the negative terminal of my battery when I go away, but the Mazda may not like this so check with the dealer first.
If your battery is 1/4 down or more best to use this type of charger to bring it up to 100%.

If your battery is in poor condition due to lots of charging via the alternator from a lowish state of charge on of this type of chargers may bring it back to almost new unless it is too far gone. I used to get 2 years out of a battery, now I get over twice that. You can do this with the battery still connected in the car for most cars, but I would check with the dealer first in case something in your car is different and you need to disconnect the battery first.

If the battery in the CX3 is different again, get the correct charger for it and treat it well and all will serve you well for longer.

That old charger you or your dad have had for 40 years will kill your modern battery.
santa

Post by santa »

My i-Stop works as it should, most of the time anyway, but a couple of times this last week it's started to come up with a strange message, at least because I drive an automatic:

It will activate i-Stop and stop the engine but then restart after about 2 seconds. Normally this would be due to aircon , battery or engine not being ready but it writes that they are all ready (all blue) but I should "change gear to neutral" (it's in Danish so I'm not sure what the precise english wording is).....but I drive an automatic and that message would only make sense in a manual car.
Mazda CX-30 2.0 150HP Aut. Cosmo w. Tech Pack in Arctic White, 2023.
Strangways

Post by Strangways »

santa wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:14 pm My i-Stop works as it should, most of the time anyway, but a couple of times this last week it's started to come up with a strange message, at least because I drive an automatic:

It will activate i-Stop and stop the engine but then restart after about 2 seconds. Normally this would be due to aircon , battery or engine not being ready but it writes that they are all ready (all blue) but I should "change gear to neutral" (it's in Danish so I'm not sure what the precise english wording is).....but I drive an automatic and that message would only make sense in a manual car.
Hi Santa, I also have an automatic. When you are in D the torque converter is engaged and putting a drain on the engine. If you put it in N the torque converter will disengage allowing the i-stop to operate. The engine will start again when you put it in D.
2019 CX-3 2.0 Sport Nav+ Automatic in ETERNAL BLUE
2015 MX-5 2.0 Sport Nav Manual in SOUL RED