Electric Parking Brake auto release

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
Soozie

Post by Soozie »

Can anyone advise me at what point their Electric Parking Brake auto releases?

I had my CX-3 3 days before I came to my first hill start at traffic lights. I put the EPB on and as I went to drive off the car started to roll backwards towards another car - it released the EPB before the clutch/accelerator was at the bite point. I’ve have since tried to test it on very small inclines and it seems that it releases when you press the accelerator and then even slightly release the clutch.

I am not sure if this is how it should work? Or whether there is a fault with the car.

The manual says it releases when you press the accelerator and the clutch is depressed half way. So is that ‘half way or further’?

Mazda have told me I should drive it the conventional way on hill starts pressing accelerator first then bring clutch to biting point and the EPB should then release. If I do that I will have rolled back into another car as my EPG will have released before this point!

DaveG

Post by DaveG »

I have an auto, so I cannot test it out for you, but for what it is worth the biting point should be before halfway so you should not roll back and as the clutch is raised through the bite the handbrake should release.
I would go to your dealer and insist a technician or the salesman demonstrates a hill start, as to me you are correct the handbrake should not release before the biting point.
Let us know how you get on.
CX3 Sport Nav - Petrol - Auto - safety pack - snowflake white - 2019
Turbo

Post by Turbo »

I found it a little strange after being used to mechanical handbrake hill starts for 50 years. But found it far better after you know how it's going to react. Clutch down, I raise the RPM 500rpm or so' raise the clutch and as soon the bite point grabs and the car moves forward fractionally and not before the parking brake releases
2019 CX-3, 2.0 Sport Nav+, Soul Red, Stone Leather, Safety Pack, Petrol, Manual.
switchback

Post by switchback »

Are you talking about the hand brake or the auto hold?
2018 CX3+ Sport Nav 120 Petrol Manual. Machine Grey.
Turbo

Post by Turbo »

switchback wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:08 pm Are you talking about the hand brake or the auto hold?
Electric parking brake
2019 CX-3, 2.0 Sport Nav+, Soul Red, Stone Leather, Safety Pack, Petrol, Manual.
switchback

Post by switchback »

It should work as Turbo says. No different to a manual handbrake............The steeper the hill needs more revs just the same. On a very steep slope you need to be confident that it will release as the back of the car squats down a fair bit, but if you keep engaging the clutch it will release and then you're away. Perhaps a bit more practice? The situation that you are experiencing is what happens with the "auto-hold" system if you are not consistent and continuous with the pedal movements.
DaveG

Post by DaveG »

I thought the complaint was the handbrake releasing before the clutch was at the biting point.
CX3 Sport Nav - Petrol - Auto - safety pack - snowflake white - 2019
switchback

Post by switchback »

DaveG wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:07 pm I thought the complaint was the handbrake releasing before the clutch was at the biting point.
It was................That's what happens with "auto-hold" but shouldn't happen with the EPB.
Strangways

Post by Strangways »

I'm so glad I upgraded to an auto :lol:
2019 CX-3 2.0 Sport Nav+ Automatic in ETERNAL BLUE
2015 MX-5 2.0 Sport Nav Manual in SOUL RED
Turbo

Post by Turbo »

Strangways wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:52 pm I'm so glad I upgraded to an auto :lol:
Nothing wrong with the electric parking brake, a great piece of kit once you have got the hang of it