Newbie from Nottingham saying Hi

New to the CX3 Forums? Introduce yourself here
Gardenshed55

Post by Gardenshed55 »

Hi everyone,
I've decided to trade in my MX5 (Mk4) for a CX3 -mainly because my hip joints couldn't cope with climbing in and out any more (55 years young!!! )and I was fed up with wearing a hat to keep my head warm (I'm 6' 3")-just couldn't bear the thought of joining the run of the mill German crowd so I'm awaiting delivery of the lower powered sport nav-my question is -how much will I miss the performance and open top motoring , on the test drive I thought the gearbox was lovely and smooth and the engine didn't feel underpowered -obviously it wasn't run in properly so will it free up a little?, anyway any comments would be most welcome as I'm feeling slightly nervous that I've done the right thing-must admit I got a bit carried away in the dealers and now having a slight wobble!, thanks Simon

clawhn

Post by clawhn »

Hi and welcome to the forum. A couple of members on the forum have owned MX5's and in some cases run both MX5's and CX3's. I'm sure they will provide you with the feedback you require. From my point of view the CX3 is a great all rounder. I'm think you will love it.
2018 Mazda CX3 Sport Nav+ Petrol Manual Eternal Blue. Detachable tow bar. Blaenavon, South Wales.
AndyRen
Location: Down a bit, down a bit more, right a bit, down a bit.... Right there - Kent

Post by AndyRen »

Welcome to the forum and personally I think the CX-3 (120bhp) certainly isn't under powered (coming from a Golf Gtd), can't compare it to an MX-5 having never owned one but my friend who is about the same height as you owns one and I must say it's quite comical watching him squeeze himself in and drag himself out grunting and groaning - but he IS 64 with hip pain etc! :) ..... You'll love the CX-3 once you're used to it.
16 plate 2L Petrol, 120bhp Soul Red Sport Nav...
Deleted User 1027

Post by Deleted User 1027 »

I have both a CX3 Sport Nav and a MX5. Like you I am 56 and have health issues.
Since buying the CX3 14 months ago the MX5 has done 700 miles as I do not enjoy it anymore.
I only kept both thinking I would miss the fun factor. What fun with pot holes,speed cameras and more and more idiots on the road.
If I lived outside of the congested North West then I may enjoy it more.
I have had my fun in it and driven all over Europe but when I open my front door 99 times out of 100 it's the CX3 for me.
Strangways

Post by Strangways »

Hi Simon and welcome to the forums. As you see I have both the CX3 and MX5, I just couldn't part with it. I was 71 last week and still get so much pleasure in driving my MX5. If the suns shining it's open top motoring all the time. I still work 4 days a week so the CX3 is generally used for commuting or wet days. I do about 5000 miles a year in each car.
The CX3 is underpowered compared with the MX5. The loss of 40 bhp and a much lighter body is noticeable. Having said that the CX3 is a lovely car to drive and the gearbox is the same as the MX5. I have recently upgraded to the 2019 model and opted for the auto box this time. I have the manual in the MX5 and didn't feel the need for it in the CX3.
Being honest, I think you will miss the power and open top motoring, but if your hip joint is causing a problem you couldn't choose a better replacement than the CX3.
2019 CX-3 2.0 Sport Nav+ Automatic in ETERNAL BLUE
2015 MX-5 2.0 Sport Nav Manual in SOUL RED
Gardenshed55

Post by Gardenshed55 »

Thanks everyone for your kind advice!, Oh well the commitment is made and picking it up next week so I shall post up some photos and initial thoughts then.
Gordongilchrist

Post by Gordongilchrist »

I think you will be well pleased. I kept my MGTF convertible when I bought cx3 petrol auto and to be honest I have hardly turned a wheel in MGTF since I got it. In reality it has all the power you could usefully use and the handling is engaging believe it or not. On balance it is just so much more appealing to drive. I'm keeping the MGTF for one more summer to see if I use it or not.
2017 Mazda CX-3 sport nav 2WD Automatic 120 petrol in white :)
WayneE

Post by WayneE »

Hi , welcome to the site.
I have had my CX-3 now for 6 weeks and its absolutely brilliant , my Golf GTD was good but this is far better and more comfortable.
And the best part , I am getting a minimum 40mpg on my journeys .
In my view Mazdas are on par with at least the VW brand and possibly others of that stature.
I hope you enjoy your vehicle as much as I am enjoying mine.

Cheers Wayne
CX-3 Sport -Nav , Snowflake white, 120 BHP.