Gravel Damage to my rear tyres !

All Mazda CX-3 related discussions
Stewy

Post by Stewy »

So .... had a nail in one of my back tyres ... flat as a pancake .

Car recovered to local Mazda dealer .

Yes we can repair tyre they said ... BUT the tread has been cut in various places ... down to the fabric in several instances .. likely by gravel as there was already pieces of gravel wedged into tread they said . I live on a gated estate with many gravel roads and drives ....

I looked at this damage as car was up on ramp so thought I’d have a gander . I was told this is quite a common occurrence and that both rear tyres were damaged and would fail an MOT. The technician showed me these “cuts “ .I don’t have any experience of such damage and no “eye” to gauge the severity of the damage. The rubber was damaged in several places .

I had to take their word for it and allow them to kindly sell me 2 new tyres...... I had places to go and people to see ... I didn’t want the whole episode dragging on with more visits etc etc .

I’m wondering if anyone else has a similar experience . I am also wondering if I’ve been a complete **** Head and been branded as Mr Gullible and treated with the contempt usually only doled out by those who know me well !

Any comments or help gratefully received ...
On second CX3 ..... Black CX3 2.0 150 Sport Nav + Auto AWD... loving it ! 😍

Mazdaman72

Post by Mazdaman72 »

I think I would have said ok I will take it my most trusted tyre store and got there opinion, these dealers are always doing videos and telling whats wrong in the name of safety checks.
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

Impossible to say definitively without having seen the tyres, but from your description they may not have failed an MOT as the cuts would need to be 25mm long or 10% of the section width with cords visible
https://mattersoftesting.blog.gov.uk/ho ... in-tyres/

Having said that, you say "the rubber was damaged in several places", and one of them would have had to have a repair from the nail, so IMO it was probably wise just to get new tyres to be on the safe side.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
Stewy

Post by Stewy »

Thanks for the help .... much appreciated .

I’ve acrually purchased a little tool off amazon - £3 ! A screwdriver with “ prongs” designed to prize out the offending gravel from tyre tread . Works really well !
On second CX3 ..... Black CX3 2.0 150 Sport Nav + Auto AWD... loving it ! 😍
Stagman

Post by Stagman »

Hello Everyone.
I posted this in Jan this year..
What a goldmine this forum is. 3 weeks ago I bought a 3 year old 2.0 petrol auto Sport Nav in Meteor Grey, after 12 years with an Audi A4 diesel, about to be fitted with its 3rd autobox!! I love the CX3 but am a little frustrated that according to the main dealer it's not possible to auto lock when moving off.
The car is in the local Mazda dealer for a service and I have just been told that all the Toyo tyres which have plenty of tread, have cuts down to the cords. I am amazed by this as I never have any cuts in my driving experience, so all 4 is shocking, the car had an MOT by the supplying, non Mazda dealer, very strange!

Are the Toyos more prone to cuts and are there better alternatives?
Last edited by Stagman on Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 2015 Meteor Grey, Sport nav petrol auto.
Totnes
Devon
Stagman

Post by Stagman »

Follow up to my original post. I immediately took the car from the Main dealer to the MOT centre I have used for years, they made a throrough examination of all tyres with a screwdriver which is not allowed as MOT is a visual check only. 2 tyres had small but deep cuts, probably from flints, they would not even issue advisory if it was an MOT.
This was fed back to the main dealer who have just said that they would revise the inspection report to class this as a yellow warning rather than the red they advised. Who knows

Seems this a main dealer scam, what a shame.
Dec 2015 Meteor Grey, Sport nav petrol auto.
Totnes
Devon