premium v regular unleaded

All Mazda CX-3 related discussions
anchorman

Post by anchorman »

March wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:30 pm Take a look at the PDF attachments. Ethanol in regular petrol will corrode the engine. Having read this I use premium at least every 3 tanks. In my MX5 I use it in every tank.

ethanol 2.pdfethanol 1.pdf
Very interesting. Thanks.
CX-5 Sportnav diesel auto. AWD

Idavies999

Post by Idavies999 »

What sort of average MPG are people getting from the 2.0L petrol, either on normal or super unleaded. I’m curious to know.
03/17 CX-3 Sport Nav, Deep Crystal Blue, 2.0 Petrol, Manual
HouseSpider

Post by HouseSpider »

From what I see from various posts it can vary dramatically. Some people can't seem to get more that 40mpg, some over 50mpg.
It will obviously depend alot on how you drive the car and the nature of the roads and terrain in your locale.
Sports Nav Auto Petrol 2017, 131bhp (chipped), Soul Red, Half Stone Leather, Safety Pack, Arm Rest, Auto Folding Mirror Kit, Detachable Tow Bar, HatchBag Boot Liner, Stebel Nautilus Compact horn. Space saver.
clawhn

Post by clawhn »

Bought my CX3 2.0 manual new in January. Covered 3k miles since and averaged 39.8 mpg . Mainly town, shortish trips and up / down welsh mountains, so I consider that to be good economy. Long trips give me around 50 mpg.
2018 Mazda CX3 Sport Nav+ Petrol Manual Eternal Blue. Detachable tow bar. Blaenavon, South Wales.
Mrbluesky

Post by Mrbluesky »

I only ever use 95 regular petrol all the time and get 42.9 mpg as a long term average, my usual journey distance is probably about 20 miles with an occasional 50 mile run.

Richard
CX-3 2016 Dynamic Blue Sport Nav 2.0 petrol manual with half Stone Leather.
santa

Post by santa »

I tried a few tankfull of a new 100 octane we have here in Denmark.
There was a noticable difference but not so much as to justify the 10% higher price.
Mazda CX-30 2.0 150HP Aut. Cosmo w. Tech Pack in Arctic White, 2023.
Paul97

Post by Paul97 »

I'm using Tesco Momentum with a 50/50 spilt motorway and town and get 48mpg, well pleased. On a recent trip to Kent from the North East we averaged 50.4 😁
2017 SE-L-NAV ETERNAL BLUE
anchorman

Post by anchorman »

bloodline wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:14 am If you read about how the Skyactive-G engine works, it runs at a higher compression ratio than a regular petrol engine (closer to that of a diesel). In a normal petrol engine to achieve such high compression ratios, one would need to use a higher octane rated fuel (the expensive stuff), but Mazda have carefully timed the valves to intake a small amount of exhaust gas during the intake stroke (and I imagine careful timing of the direct fuel injection during the cycle), which retards the ignition of the fuel, in effect increasing the octane rating!

It's very clever stuff, only possible with powerful engine management computers.

-edit- So higher octane fuel is very unlikely to make any difference to performance, and on an engine under 5 years old, any detergent fuel additives are unlikely to offer the engine much.
You were doing ever so well until the last sentence. The detergents make a big difference.
CX-5 Sportnav diesel auto. AWD
RichR

Post by RichR »

I've been using Asda normal unleaded (95RON), just because it's nearest to my place of work, occasionally using Texaco 95, and on my 26 mile commute via the A2, Dartford Crossing and A13 regularly get between 45 and 51 mpg according to the 'mpg this trip' read out (got 54 mpg this morning!). Went to France with roof bars and two bikes on top on 95RON and was getting c.43 mpg while running around 65mph, and up to 50 mpg with just the bars and no bikes Filled up in France with 98RON just before coming home and mpg performance was about the same although the car did seem to be smoother. So I can't see a financial advantage in using a higher octane.
CX-3 Sport Nav+ 2.0 150ps AWD 2019 Arctic White
March

Post by March »

It's not just about mpg. Ethanol corrodes engines.