Smart City Braking System

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
ivan@raf

Post by ivan@raf »

How do I know if the SCBS is fitted to my car? The menu for setting it comes up on my screen. I have ticked the active box and set everything to what I would think would be the most likely settings to activate. However in two years I have seen no hint of it operating. The handbook is not very helpful because it says "on some models" but doesn't say how to tell if it's there or not.
There is no switch on my car as described in the book. Anybody any clue please.
09/17 CX3 2.0L petrol Sport Nav 5dr. Manual. Colour ceramic. Getting 39+ mpg

Strangways

Post by Strangways »

I think on the Sport Nav it was part of the optional Safety Pack.
2019 CX-3 2.0 Sport Nav+ Automatic in ETERNAL BLUE
2015 MX-5 2.0 Sport Nav Manual in SOUL RED
ivan@raf

Post by ivan@raf »

Thanks for that. I must admit when I bought the CX3 I was perhaps a bit lax on viewing specs. My lovely wife had just passed away and the MX5 we had together had too many memories. I saw a CX3 in the showroom, had a test drive and picked that model. Seems strange to me that the system appears on the settings menu if it's not fitted.
Having said that I still consider it the best car I've ever had in fifty years motoring. And I've had a few.
Strangways

Post by Strangways »

Sorry to hear about your wife. So glad you are enjoying the CX3. I'm on my second one, I decided to upgrade to the 2019 model when they changed the suspension. Lovely cars.
2019 CX-3 2.0 Sport Nav+ Automatic in ETERNAL BLUE
2015 MX-5 2.0 Sport Nav Manual in SOUL RED
ivan@raf

Post by ivan@raf »

Yes. What I like about it is the available power, the really direct steering and just enough gadgetry to be useful and not cause frustration.
HouseSpider

Post by HouseSpider »

"Seems strange to me that the system appears on the settings menu if it's not fitted."

I would say that if you have the option in the menu it is fitted. If you don't have the option it's not.
Simple
Sports Nav Auto Petrol 2017, 131bhp (chipped), Soul Red, Half Stone Leather, Safety Pack, Arm Rest, Auto Folding Mirror Kit, Detachable Tow Bar, HatchBag Boot Liner, Stebel Nautilus Compact horn. Space saver.
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

I think you will have SCBS. Look for the amber SCBS warning light that will be illuminated in the instrument cluster when you turn on the ignition.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
ivan@raf

Post by ivan@raf »

Yes I do have that light but I've never had any sort of indication that the thing is working. On just about a daily basis I park at my local paper shop by approaching a brick wall at slow walking pace to within about two yards. I've never seen or heard anything that indicates I am about to collide unless I react.
st3v3cx-3

Post by st3v3cx-3 »

According to the Oct 2016 brochure, SCBS was standard on the SE-L Nav and Sport Nav models. By the time of the Sep 2018 brochure, this had become the Advanced SCBS on both the SE-L Nav+ and Sport Nav+ models with the additional RSCBS (Rear SCBS) then added as part of the optional Safety Pack only available on the Sport Nav+ model. Up to that point the SCBS or Advanced SCBS had never been available as either standard or as an option on both the SE or SE Nav+ models.

If your model has a SCBS button on the dashboard I'd be sure you had it on your car. You could try pressing the SCBS button when stationery and seeing if the off light comes on which should then confirm the system is present and presumably operational.

Bear in mind for SCBS to operate requires the following conditions to be met :-

- The engine is running.
- The Smart City Brake Support (SCBS) warning light (amber) does not illuminate.
- The vehicle speed is between about 4 to 30 km/h (2 to 18 mph).
- The Smart City Brake Support (SCBS) system is not turned off.
- The DSC is not malfunctioning.

Perhaps your slow walking pace test is under 2mph?
Last edited by st3v3cx-3 on Fri May 01, 2020 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sport Nav Petrol Automatic FWD Arctic White plus options April 2016
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

The car doesn't have to have the SCBS button, mine doesn't. When you don't have the button, you turn it off/on via the MZD Connect screen option. If ivan@raf has the on/off option on MZD Connect and the dashboard light illuminates when the ignition is switched on (which tests it) then he has SCBS.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd