Check Engine Light and loss of power

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
Gordongilchrist

Post by Gordongilchrist »

TBH if EML is illuminated followed by lack of revs I'd say you are in limp home mode. Need the source of EML problem sorted.
2017 Mazda CX-3 sport nav 2WD Automatic 120 petrol in white :)

AndyRen
Location: Down a bit, down a bit more, right a bit, down a bit.... Right there - Kent

Post by AndyRen »

Yes, sounds like limp mode and wouldn't be surprised if related to EGR and DPF problems.
16 plate 2L Petrol, 120bhp Soul Red Sport Nav...
Chad

Post by Chad »

I took the car in to SG Petch today as planned. I asked the reception staff to show me what they had written down as the problem; Despite me stating very clearly on both occasions the car was taken in that there was a major loss of power AND the EML was illuminated, they only actually wrote on the job card (which goes to the mechanic) that the EML was on! Unbelievable. I'll update you when I collect the car what the fault was.
CX3 Sport Nav Auto 1.5d. Soul red 48mpg (long motorway commute) 0-60mph in around 20 minutes :roll:
Chad

Post by Chad »

Update: dealership had the car for 3 days and then called me to tell me the car has a problem (really). They said the inlet manifold was totally carboned up. I asked what the plan was and the young service adviser couldn’t tell me what they needed to do, or how long they needed the car. This problem is worrying as the car has only covered 20k miles. From experience I know that if the inlet manifold is carboned up, the inlet ports in the cylinder head and the inlet valves will also be carboned up. Which from experience with other cars means that the inlet valves will soon fail to close and the valve seats will inevitably burn. This is not a good sign at 20k miles. Thankfully the car is under warranty.
CX3 Sport Nav Auto 1.5d. Soul red 48mpg (long motorway commute) 0-60mph in around 20 minutes :roll:
Chad

Post by Chad »

Talking to an experienced mechanic (Bmw/mini) it is a very common side effect of this stupid idea of the EGR, that in an attempt to reduce the emissions, actually feed exhaust gas straight into the inlet manifold. Not only does this reduce performance, it also causes excessive premature carbon build up. Expensive repairs if not under warranty.
Deleted User 1511

Post by Deleted User 1511 »

How old is the car?

What is the typical mileage each trip?

Might be that a deseasel isn’t right for lots of short trips as it won’t get warm enough
AndyRen
Location: Down a bit, down a bit more, right a bit, down a bit.... Right there - Kent

Post by AndyRen »

Faulty EGR valve sticking open longer than it should is my guess - causing the carbon build up on the inlet side of the engine. :cry:

@CX3fan - if you look at Chad's sig it states - (long motorway commute) - so don't think short journeys is the issue??
16 plate 2L Petrol, 120bhp Soul Red Sport Nav...
Chad

Post by Chad »

Update: SG Petch acknowdged that it will be a major engine strip down which will probably lead to new valves. However.... the warranty is the issue now. Interestingly, the dealership has to check with Mazda that the warranty will cover it!!! (suggest not a failure but a wear and tear). However, I will be OK because I first reported this problem within the 3 month period of buying the car, so I will be protected under the consumer act. The car has done 20K with full dealer histroy. The bad news for other owners on this forum is that this is a very common problem with diesel mazdas and if not covered under warrantly is a VERY expensive repair. So it may worth while taking out an additional warranty before your manufacturer warranty expires.
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

Hi Chad, have you had the car since brand new?
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
Chad

Post by Chad »

@Jtonline No, I bought it used. From NortonWay Mazda dealership. I was wondering if the previous owner had run it on low cetane fuel, but even so that shouldnt cause such a problem at 20K miles.