Instrument cluster (Tachometer) Screen Flickers and Freezes

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
cyanstar

Post by cyanstar »

Hi All,

I recently purchased a used Mazda CX-3. It wasn't until I was driving the car home that I noticed the display panel with the rev counter/gear/mileage counter, would occasionally flicker - It looks more like it's scrambling rather than turning on and off. It only seems to happen when the road is "rough" rather than bumpy. It doesn't affect any of the other elements in the car, IE the centre screen, the other display panel on the other side of the speedo, or the speedo itself. And everything else in the car works perfectly - iStop for example. The car is set up using the Analog Speedo Type A in the manual:

https://owners-manual.mazda.com/gen/en/ ... 20100.html

Any idea's what I might be? The car is covered under warranty and will be going back late next week, but having an idea on the issue would be handy.
CX-3 1.5D SE-L NAV 2015 Soul Red - UK

cyanstar

Post by cyanstar »

Just thought I'd update on this.

I got the car back earlier this week. They tested the cables etc, but no dice. In the end, the whole instrument cluster had to be swapped out.

Curiously though, the odometer (mileage) wasn't reprogrammed. So it states on the instrument cluster it's only done 140ish miles. It's actually done 30700. When I asked Mazda, they said it can't be reprogrammed as the software for it was lost a few years ago by the entire company. Has anyone had anything similar? Or can confirm this?
AndyRen
Location: Down a bit, down a bit more, right a bit, down a bit.... Right there - Kent

Post by AndyRen »

Hmmm... That sounds a bit lame to me! - A company the size of Mazda losing the software! Have they never heard of making backups?
A quick look on eBay shows devices to enable exactly what you want - although they may be too technical for some? There are also companies advertising odometer correction via the OBD port so with a bit of a search I'm sure you'll find a local company willing and able - at a cost of course - perhaps Mazda should pay your costs as they are unable to do it themselves??
I assume the flickering has ceased with the fitting of a new cluster?

Good luck anyway, what with theses uncertain times we live in!
16 plate 2L Petrol, 120bhp Soul Red Sport Nav...
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

I doubt the software is lost, more likely the facility to do it has been withdrawn to avoid misuse. They probably put a sticker on the door frame or somewhere, cerifiying the actual mileage.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
cyanstar

Post by cyanstar »

Hi guys,

Yes the flickering has been resolved. I did look around to see if there was a company that would reprogram it, but everyone I've asked said they can't do Mazda cars.

The stickers a good idea. I'll have to take a look and see if they placed one somewhere. The garage just advised me to keep the receipt and the work log in the car, as it says the milage prior to replacing the cluster.

It doesn't bother me, it's just a little weird is all.

Cheers.
AndyRen
Location: Down a bit, down a bit more, right a bit, down a bit.... Right there - Kent

Post by AndyRen »

Glad the flickering has been resolved, I would have felt I was caught up in a Sci-Fi film just waiting for the engine to die and a huge shadow moving across the area!
16 plate 2L Petrol, 120bhp Soul Red Sport Nav...