Larger alloys and road noise

All Mazda CX-3 related discussions
Sr500blue

Post by Sr500blue »

I'm looking at a 2016 sport nav, but have been advised that the larger 18 inch wheels create a lot more noise, can any body comment please

jtonline

Post by jtonline »

I've not had the opportunity to compare them with the smaller wheels. However, your choice of tyre will make a difference. The EU noise rating of tyres relates to the noise you can hear outside the vehicle, not inside. My car was quieter on Pirelli winter tyres than the Toyo summer tyres & I've read comments that Bridgestone tyres are noisy. Early CX-3's have less sound insulation compared to later versions.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
Deleted User 1027

Post by Deleted User 1027 »

Only to add that my 18 inch wheels on Toyo tyres have been quieter for road noise that a Mazda 2 on 16 inch wheels for some reason.

A test drive is the only way to confirm if the road noise is acceptable for you.
HouseSpider

Post by HouseSpider »

Changing from Toyos to Falkens reduced the rad noise on my vehicle.
Sports Nav Auto Petrol 2017, 131bhp (chipped), Soul Red, Half Stone Leather, Safety Pack, Arm Rest, Auto Folding Mirror Kit, Detachable Tow Bar, HatchBag Boot Liner, Stebel Nautilus Compact horn. Space saver.
Beezageoff

Post by Beezageoff »

Absolutely no problems with noise from my 18" alloys. Just as quiet as the 16" alloys on my old Mazda 6.
CX3 30/10/2018 Sat Nav+ 2litre Petrol Manual
AndyRen
Location: Down a bit, down a bit more, right a bit, down a bit.... Right there - Kent

Post by AndyRen »

You really have to take a test drive and see how you feel about it yourself.
16 plate 2L Petrol, 120bhp Soul Red Sport Nav...
Strangways

Post by Strangways »

I changed the front tyres on my 2016 model to Falken and that made a big difference, but the I bought a 2019 model with Bridgestone and it was far better because of the additional sound insulation.
2019 CX-3 2.0 Sport Nav+ Automatic in ETERNAL BLUE
2015 MX-5 2.0 Sport Nav Manual in SOUL RED