i-stop not working

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
Popaticktock

Post by Popaticktock »

Remember the i stop seems to be linked to how high you have the temp and fans set too....set them to AUTO and see how they do!
It had me baffled too for a while!

HouseSpider

Post by HouseSpider »

In the Covid era my i-stop has been effected by the numerous short journeys and lack of descent runs to re-charge the battery.
Also, as Popaticktock says, higher temp settings have also prevented it engaging.
Sports Nav Auto Petrol 2017, 131bhp (chipped), Soul Red, Half Stone Leather, Safety Pack, Arm Rest, Auto Folding Mirror Kit, Detachable Tow Bar, HatchBag Boot Liner, Stebel Nautilus Compact horn. Space saver.
Sasacovic

Post by Sasacovic »

lhcmazda wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:55 pm Had my car laid up for 3 weeks and put the battery on charge the night before I was due to use the car. The chareger is a CETK start / stop charger i.e. designed for my car. The i-stop facility has not worked since and I have completed a number of non stop 30 mile runs. I have a plug in voltage monitor and it registers a voltage whilst the engine is running of 14.2 volts, and when stoped 12.69 volts. The Engine Management showes the engine icon with a blue halo and the air con icon with a blue halo, but the battery has no blue halo and it displays "Not Ready" in the window. Is anyone else having problems with their i-stop facility. I realise that the i-stop facility relise upon many conditions being met but I'm puzzled about the battery not being up to the required 80% charged condition, the car is only just over 2 years old and only 8,000 miles on the clock.
Hi everyone. I am Sasha from Serbia.
This is my first post on forum, and I am sorry to jump in like this, but I was looking for something else and find this i-stop issue subject.
Mazda i-stop system wont turn on, if your car engine is achieved working temperature, in case that your seat belt is not fasten for example!
Also, it wont turn on if your fan regulator is pointed on windscreen (windshield defrost symbol)...
I have a 2016 Mazda 3 1.5 diesel, but it should be the same i-stop system.
Simple test: when your car achieves working temperature ( blue water symbol at dashboard turns off) - turn of fan and ac completely. If everything is ok, you should have your i-stop system working-car should turn off...
AlanW

Post by AlanW »

I have a 17 plate CX 3, 2ltr petrol bought 2nd hand with 2000 miles on it, now has just below 10,000. The i-stop has hardly ever worked as the halo around the battery is very rarely activated. The conditions have to be perfect for it to activate and that means the battery in good condition and fully charged. When it did work it only saved me negligable amounts of petrol and emmisions. On the down side, everytime it kicked in and stopped the engine, the starter would need to kick in to restart the engine, that means an extra squirt of fuel as well as wear on the starter motor. Ask any qualified mechanic what they think of the system.

In addition my car is now 3 1/2 years old and the recent cold weather has killed the battery. (which is apparently the expected life cycle of it according to other forum comments!) When I jumped it from my other car and took it for a run to charge the battery up the i-stop light on the dashboard kept flashing and no matter what I did could (Following all the resolutions on the forum) not get it to go out, As it never worked anyway, I removed the switch located under the bonnet to the right of the bonnent release which was activated when the bonnet was shut, solved the problem.

The second time the battery went flat 3 days later after frost I went to garage and purchased a new, non I - stop version battery ( Yuasa YBX3005) for £82.00 and fitted it myself with a 10mm spanner for all nuts. The replacement battery was exactly the same size and took less than 10 minutes to fit

Anyone should be able to do this.

There were not issues with radio codes or engine management system. A new I-Stop battery would have cost at least twice as much, so when you take that into account against the fuel saving over 3 years, you will see that the i-stop is just not worth it. It's a bit of a gimmick and only wears other components out so that Mazda can get more money out of you for repairs!

You could argue that it should work and do what it says so it's a fault and Mazda should sort it, Best of luck with that!

For those that argue that i - stop is contributing to saving the planet, I would suggest that it is insignificant compared to other savings.
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

That's your prerogative, Alan.
I'm still on the original battery after over 60,000 miles and 5 years, and i-stop is still working as designed.
As for wear and tear, well i-stop uses mainly combustion to restart the engine with starter assistance for less than a second, so I can't see it being an issue.
Does the car alarm still work OK with the bonnet switch removed?
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
TAX

Post by TAX »

I have never been a fan of the i-stop system and have got into the habit of using the dashboard switch to turn it off every time I use the car.
SEPT 2017
CX3GT AUTO PETROL. CERAMIC METALLIC. 39 MPG
YORKSHIRE.
Ed1943

Post by Ed1943 »

I would agree with ivan@raf just purchased mine in December and its three years old in March. Its certainly the best car I've had since starting to drive in an 1954 VW Beetle in the early 60's. My i-stop is intermittent which doesn't bother me but as the car is lying idle for long periods now (only about 10 miles/week) i've invested in a ctek stop/start intelligent charger which i'm going to connect up at intervals to keep the battery topped up. The car system highlights the car battery when the i-stop is not working. All we need now is some freedom to enjoy driving our CX3.
2018 CX-3 Sport Nav Petrol Black AWD
santa

Post by santa »

jtonline wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:33 pm That's your prerogative, Alan.
I'm still on the original battery after over 60,000 miles and 5 years, and i-stop is still working as designed.
As for wear and tear, well i-stop uses mainly combustion to restart the engine with starter assistance for less than a second, so I can't see it being an issue.
I'm with you, my CX-3 is also a bit over 5 years and have just reached 176,000 km (or just over 109,000 miles) and I'm also on the original battery.
And I have to say, that the only times i-stop doesn't work, is sometimes at night (with lights on, maybe seat heat on and so on).
I've even seen it working around zero degreec C with the blue coolant light still on.

And as others have said, if it works then fine, if not then don't worry about it.
Mazda CX-30 2.0 150HP Aut. Cosmo w. Tech Pack in Arctic White, 2023.
HouseSpider

Post by HouseSpider »

santa wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:56 pm
jtonline wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:33 pm That's your prerogative, Alan.
I'm with you, my CX-3 is also a bit over 5 years and have just reached 176,000 km (or just over 109,000 miles) and I'm also on the original battery.
And I have to say, that the only times i-stop doesn't work, is sometimes at night (with lights on, maybe seat heat on and so on).
I've even seen it working around zero degreec C with the blue coolant light still on.

And as others have said, if it works then fine, if not then don't worry about it.
And me after 80k miles & 3.5 years.
Sports Nav Auto Petrol 2017, 131bhp (chipped), Soul Red, Half Stone Leather, Safety Pack, Arm Rest, Auto Folding Mirror Kit, Detachable Tow Bar, HatchBag Boot Liner, Stebel Nautilus Compact horn. Space saver.
Mehrzad

Post by Mehrzad »

I have my car one month and I-stop worked fine a few times and suddenly stopped working and screen shows it is on😂. I turned off AUTO STOP and deactivated MRCC but it doesn’t wort when I stop and push brake! Does anyone Know what should I do?