Coolant Control valve actuator problem

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
WayneCX3Diesel

Post by WayneCX3Diesel »

HI guys, I'm in Australia with a Right hand drive Mazda 2015 CX-3 Diesel AWD Sport touring. My wife drives the car, which has nearly 70,000km's and we are the original owner. The car has always been serviced at the dealership and has only ever had an issue with the air conditioning condensor which was repaired under warranty.

For the last 6 months the cars fans had been turning on for a short while randomly after driving the car. Sometimes we would smell a slight burning smell as if the engine had been running hot. Then it became winter in June/July/August here and the problem seemed to go away. This is something that i would normally expect after someone drove the car hard, and then suddently turned it off. However this was never the case whilst my wife had been driving the car.

It's now the end of winter in Australia, and in the last week, a check engine light had intermittently turned on, on the slightly warmer days. We called the roadside assist company and they used there generic scanner which determined there was something wrong with how the car was to know how to turn the fans off when the car is turned off. That fellow pointed to a box roughly 15x15cm mounted to the back of the the passenger side fan and said it appears that was intermittently faulty.

The car went in for a diagnosis today at Mazda. The result from the Mazda dealership was;

"Code checked vehicle and found code relating to coolant control valve actuator and therfore DPF will not carry out a re-generation. Tested and found internal fault. Requires new coolant control valve actuator - price to supply and fit is $2645.00". (That's about 1545 Brittish pounds.)

I searched online but could only find this part brand new listed at 50 pounds - https://www.euspares.co.uk/parts-catalo ... mazda/cx-3 Does anyone know where this is located? presumably it must be connected to the radiator somewhere, either on the drivers side front of the block, or passenger side of the block

My wife use to drive 15km's a day on the freewway to work, however in the last couple of months she has changed locations and now only drive for 7 minutes until she arrives at work. I realise that this would not be a long enough drive now for regeneration to occur. I searched online for how to force a regeneration and found one post by anchorman on here asking people to contact him, and one post on whirlpool about holding down the TCS button for 5 seconds, within the first 10 seconds of starting the car. I am unable to get this to work.

Would anyone here know of any suggestions to try to fix this issue, or the way to force the regeneration to occur? I don't mind doing the regeneration manually if that's what needs to occur. Thank you.

WayneCX3Diesel

Post by WayneCX3Diesel »

We have never seen a DPF warning light or had a check engine light for anything other than what appeared to be the petrol cap not tightened properly a couple of times over the years.
WayneCX3Diesel

Post by WayneCX3Diesel »

Also worthwhile noting that we are in Brisbane which is a relatively warm climate, average temp is about 25 to 35 degrees celcius.