Rear seat belt not rewinding

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
RoyVernon

Post by RoyVernon »

The off-side rear seat belt will not rewind (near side is fine).
These seat belts are only “used” when it goes for its annual MOT; and no one has ever sat in the back of the car from new

Removed most of the lower interior plastic lining, and noticed that there is a yellow electrical connection, which I initially assumed was merely for the in-use/not in-use sensor?
But I wonder if the operation has changed from the good old “days of steam” when this type of seatbelt operated simply off a pair of balancing ball-bearings

The question being, is it stuck merely from lack of use (car’s 5 years old, with 12K on the clock), and possibly an easy fix: or is yet more major internal dismantling to allow replacement :roll:
2017 CX-3 SE-L Nav Auto in Grey 8-)

Percy247

Post by Percy247 »

I believe this is quite a common problem. Does your car have a full Mazda main dealer service history? If so I would approach them and ask for it to be fixed/replaced as a gesture of goodwill. A number of people have resolved the matter this way. As for why it happens? I would love to know?
2016 Mazda 2 Sport Nav 1.5 Skyactiv Diesel.
RoyVernon

Post by RoyVernon »

Hi Percy 247
Thanks for the prompt response

The car does indeed have a full service history registered with Mazda; but not via the local Mazda dealership

Unfortunately, although very conveniently placed, I have found on occasion the end result to be somewhat lacking; and not always a pleasant experience
It is being serviced next week; but elsewhere

However if this is a common problem; then maybe it’s the time to reassess and perhaps cut my losses; and buy something less fragile :(
Best wishes
RoyVernon
2017 CX-3 SE-L Nav Auto in Grey 8-)
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

The electrical connection you've seen will be for the seat belt pre-tensioner. During a collision, sensors trigger an explosive pyrotechnic charge, which in turn moves a concealed piston. Seat belt webbing is wrapped around a spool which is rotated by the movement of the piston. The length of the seatbelt is reduced which removes any slack and tightens the belt. Any repair to/replacement of the seatbelt mechanisms is best left to an expert.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd