Replacing Serpentine belt

All Mazda CX-3 related discussions
Percy247

Post by Percy247 »

Has anyone replaced the serpentine belt on the 1.5 Skyactiv D? The flat side of the belt (67K miles) is very shiny, covered in fine cracks and needs replacing in my opinion. I assume it’s a case of jacking up the offside, removing the wheel and part of the wheel arch liner. On the Mazda 2, the correct part no is 6PK1199EST. Then I guess it’s a case of finding the right tool to access the tensioner to loosen the belt. Just thought I would ask before diving in!
2016 Mazda 2 Sport Nav 1.5 Skyactiv Diesel.

Graeme67

Post by Graeme67 »

Just looked on YouTube and there seems to be two belts. Crank pulley driving Alternator etc. The other belt drives the water pump. Think the video shown is the MX5 so don't know if our cars are the same, But have a look
2017 CX 3 1.5 Diesel Sport Nav
Percy247

Post by Percy247 »

Graeme67 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:12 pm Just looked on YouTube and there seems to be two belts. Crank pulley driving Alternator etc. The other belt drives the water pump. Think the video shown is the MX5 so don't know if our cars are the same, But have a look
I have seen Cx5’s with two belts. When I poked my torch down there I only saw one belt driving the alternator and I presume the water pump. I also noticed quite a bit of surface rust on frame rails, suspension wishbones and brake pipes. I will address this all in one go when I do the discs and pads and serpentine belt.
Beezageoff

Post by Beezageoff »

Hi,
Not sure if this is the right place for a query re the Alternator, but here goes...
Had a problem starting the CX3 this morning. Breakdown man came and identified the problem as the alternator.
Rang my local Mazda dealer and they have to order the part which will take about a week!!!!
I then asked them how much this would cost, and, after I had sat down again after falling off my chair, I realised that they had said somewhere in the region of £900!!
Did I mishear them??? Surely that cant be right, or maybe it is??
Anyway, if it is, that will leave me as sick as my Mazda CX3!!!!
CX3 30/10/2018 Sat Nav+ 2litre Petrol Manual
st3v3cx-3

Post by st3v3cx-3 »

Percy247 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:49 pm
Graeme67 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:12 pm Just looked on YouTube and there seems to be two belts. Crank pulley driving Alternator etc. The other belt drives the water pump. Think the video shown is the MX5 so don't know if our cars are the same, But have a look
I have seen Cx5’s with two belts. When I poked my torch down there I only saw one belt driving the alternator and I presume the water pump. I also noticed quite a bit of surface rust on frame rails, suspension wishbones and brake pipes. I will address this all in one go when I do the discs and pads and serpentine belt.

According to this US site - https://www.mazda-parts.com/v-2016-mazd ... nd-pulleys - there are 2 belts on the CX-3. One is the serpentine belt for the alternator, compressor and tensioner. The other is the water pump belt. The cost will mount up if a new tensioner assembly is required.
Sport Nav Petrol Automatic FWD Arctic White plus options April 2016
st3v3cx-3

Post by st3v3cx-3 »

Beezageoff wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:12 am Hi,
Not sure if this is the right place for a query re the Alternator, but here goes...
Had a problem starting the CX3 this morning. Breakdown man came and identified the problem as the alternator.
Rang my local Mazda dealer and they have to order the part which will take about a week!!!!
I then asked them how much this would cost, and, after I had sat down again after falling off my chair, I realised that they had said somewhere in the region of £900!!
Did I mishear them??? Surely that cant be right, or maybe it is??
Anyway, if it is, that will leave me as sick as my Mazda CX3!!!!

The US website - https://www.mazda-parts.com/v-2016-mazd ... alternator - shows a part cost of $254. Allowing for the further addition of VAT here and $-£ mark-up no doubt, plus MAZDA UK not having the competition here as opposed to in the US, I guess the price including labour could mount up to somewhere in the £700 upwards area :evil:
Sport Nav Petrol Automatic FWD Arctic White plus options April 2016
Beezageoff

Post by Beezageoff »

Thanks for that. Ive been researching the prices of Alternators and they come in all prices, so its difficult to be accurate, so I would say that your estimate of around £700 isn't far off if a Bosch or Lucas model was used. I once fitted an alternator to a 1969 MGB which was very easy, but with all the electronics involved in modern cars, I would dare to touch one now!!!!!
Beezageoff

Post by Beezageoff »

Still on the subject of alternators....
I rang my local Mazda dealer to report my need of an alternator last Monday and was told that they would order one for me from Europe. Today (Friday), it still hasn't arrived!!! Does anyone know if there is a problem with this particular model of alternator? Is it possibly to do with the stop/start feature which makes it hard to source?
I just cant believe that a company the size of Mazda, dont hold stocks in the UK!!!!
Percy247

Post by Percy247 »

Beezageoff wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:48 pm Still on the subject of alternators....
I rang my local Mazda dealer to report my need of an alternator last Monday and was told that they would order one for me from Europe. Today (Friday), it still hasn't arrived!!! Does anyone know if there is a problem with this particular model of alternator? Is it possibly to do with the stop/start feature which makes it hard to source?
I just cant believe that a company the size of Mazda, dont hold stocks in the UK!!!!
Standard procedure for most companies and very rarely required parts. They don't keep them in stock and only order in when needed. Money on the shelf doing nothing. Dealer will fit maybe 5 alternators a year across all models. Therefore not worth holding stock.
Beezageoff

Post by Beezageoff »

Thanks for the info.
Looks like I'll be using the bus a little longer!!!
Its just that its been 2 weeks now and my legs are getting shorter with all the walking I'm doing!!! Still, good for the health I suppose!!!