Wing mirrors have a mind of their own

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
TEB

Post by TEB »

Shortly after collecting the car approved used in December, I noticed very occasionally on pulling on the external door handle to open the drivers door, the wing mirror would start to fold back in but only for a moment or two before moving back out again. Reported to the dealer and they felt it was a motor problem and replaced it.

However, of recent its started doing it again, but now I also get the wing mirrors folding in completely, on either turning off the engine, or pulling on the internal drivers door handle. Sometimes both mirrors do it, other times just the passenger, and on one occasion I had to lock and unlock the car, plus start the engine before they would fold back out.

So before going back to the dealer I was wondering if anyone else has had similar, and if so what was the fix.

Many thanks.
2018/68 CX-3 150ps AWD Sport Nav +, Machine Grey, Manual

TEB

Post by TEB »

Took the car to the dealer this morning to be told no fault found, despite the fault being there when I arrived; mirrors folded in when I turned the engine off and there when I got home, folded in and back out when I pulled on the internal door handle, and to boot I had to pay a £70 diagnostic charge even though the car has a Mazda approved used warranty, plus its already had a mirror motor replaced to try fix the fault.

Not impressed.

However I've for the first time managed to video the fault in action on two occasions this afternoon, so these have been sent to the service manager and I await their reply.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipM ... W9ueQACAF6
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

Have you seen this thread? viewtopic.php?t=2259
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
TEB

Post by TEB »

No and thanks, had tried a forum search but failed to find this.

Dealer claims not to be aware of this issue with any other CX3, so interesting to read others have had similar issues and some dealers suggest its known about.
st3v3cx-3

Post by st3v3cx-3 »

TEB wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:33 pm No and thanks, had tried a forum search but failed to find this.

Dealer claims not to be aware of this issue with any other CX3, so interesting to read others have had similar issues and some dealers suggest its known about.

Have you tried contacting the Mazda UK Customer Relations Team - email mmukassistance@mazdaeur.com, phone 03457 484848 - about your dissatisfaction with the situation? Particularly as you've got a Mazda extended warranty and have taken the car to a Mazda dealer who charged you £70 for a diagnosis with no solution, yet you are now aware of two other CX-3 owners who in 2020 stated that :-

1) Had exactly the same problem and it was identified as door actuator issue, replaced under warranty without fuss..... and their Mazda dealer stated they were well aware of the fault.

2) It's going in for a new relay in the drivers door but there's a long lead time for the part. It's a well known issue, something to do with too much lubrication on it during manufacture. New relay has been fitted and the mirrors are working as they should now.
Sport Nav Petrol Automatic FWD Arctic White plus options April 2016
TEB

Post by TEB »

Cars been back in to the dealers and at last they agree there was a fault and have supposedly traced the issue to the drivers door lock, which has been replaced. So far so good, though I'm still waiting to hear from the service manager regard a refund for that previous diagnostic charge, as he was away when I picked the car up.