Annoying placement of central console controls

All Mazda CX-3 related discussions
st3v3cx-3

Post by st3v3cx-3 »

I'm curious to know why Mazda thought it was a good decision to place the controls nearest the driver's seat rather switching them to the other side and and putting the handbrake nearest to the seat? I can understand the placements for a LHD car but on a RHD car it makes no sense in my opinion. Makes selecting buttons or using the control knob a lot less easy. Added to which when wearing my winter jacket the left hand jacket pocket insists on pushing down the control knob multiple times and thus changing the sat nav into seeking address mode :evil: :evil: :evil: I guess on later model CX-3 the introduction of a electronic handbrake allowed the controls to be more centralised and no longer a problem.
Sport Nav Petrol Automatic FWD Arctic White plus options April 2016

fillip2k

Post by fillip2k »

As much as I love the CX-3 interior. It does feel like the design was intended for a larger car with everything a bit more spaced out.

Like to me the start button should be about an inch to the left of where it is.
2018 Arctic White Sport Nav+ Petrol 2.0 (121bhp)
Percy247

Post by Percy247 »

st3v3cx-3 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:20 pm I'm curious to know why Mazda thought it was a good decision to place the controls nearest the driver's seat rather switching them to the other side and and putting the handbrake nearest to the seat? I can understand the placements for a LHD car but on a RHD car it makes no sense in my opinion. Makes selecting buttons or using the control knob a lot less easy. Added to which when wearing my winter jacket the left hand jacket pocket insists on pushing down the control knob multiple times and thus changing the sat nav into seeking address mode :evil: :evil: :evil: I guess on later model CX-3 the introduction of a electronic handbrake allowed the controls to be more centralised and no longer a problem.
What have you got in your jacket pocket that is capable of pressing down the rotary controller? Rocks? A ferret?
2016 Mazda 2 Sport Nav 1.5 Skyactiv Diesel.
TEB

Post by TEB »

Have the 2018 facelift and I don't find many issues with the layout, apart from the heated steering wheel switch being on the left. Would also be nice if you could still use flick wipe when its in auto wipe as we can with our old Volvo, though this does have a poorly sighted handbrake, being between the side of the front passenger seat and centre consol. Sometimes have to ask front passengers to move slightly to operate it, assume its positioned for LHD and it wasn't cost effective to move it for RHD.
2018/68 CX-3 150ps AWD Sport Nav +, Machine Grey, Manual
st3v3cx-3

Post by st3v3cx-3 »

Percy247 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:04 pm
st3v3cx-3 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:20 pm I'm curious to know why Mazda thought it was a good decision to place the controls nearest the driver's seat rather switching them to the other side and and putting the handbrake nearest to the seat? I can understand the placements for a LHD car but on a RHD car it makes no sense in my opinion. Makes selecting buttons or using the control knob a lot less easy. Added to which when wearing my winter jacket the left hand jacket pocket insists on pushing down the control knob multiple times and thus changing the sat nav into seeking address mode :evil: :evil: :evil: I guess on later model CX-3 the introduction of a electronic handbrake allowed the controls to be more centralised and no longer a problem.
What have you got in your jacket pocket that is capable of pressing down the rotary controller? Rocks? A ferret?
Ah, that would be telling :lol: No rocks or ferret I assure you, just some usual pocket stuff like a bulky wallet and small torch. I still think it was an usual design layout for a company based in Japan where they drive on the same side as the UK. Seems they designed it with the North American & Europe LHD market primarily in mind.
st3v3cx-3

Post by st3v3cx-3 »

TEB wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:03 pm Have the 2018 facelift and I don't find many issues with the layout, apart from the heated steering wheel switch being on the left. Would also be nice if you could still use flick wipe when its in auto wipe as we can with our old Volvo, though this does have a poorly sighted handbrake, being between the side of the front passenger seat and centre consol. Sometimes have to ask front passengers to move slightly to operate it, assume its positioned for LHD and it wasn't cost effective to move it for RHD.
Sounds like your old Volvo has the same potential layout annoyance as the pre-facelift CX-3 with the manual handbrake and control knob etc. Interesting that the 2 pictures of the central console area from the same 2018 brochure show different positioning of the electronic handbrake and control knob. Hmmm. See pictures below

Mazda CX-3 2016 Centre Console switches.png

Mazda CX-3 2018 Centre Console switches pic1.png

Mazda CX-3 2018 Centre Console switches pic2.png

TEB

Post by TEB »

st3v3cx-3 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:33 pm
Sounds like your old Volvo has the same potential layout annoyance as the pre-facelift CX-3 with the manual handbrake and control knob etc. Interesting that the 2 pictures of the central console area from the same 2018 brochure show different positioning of the electronic handbrake and control knob. Hmmm. See pictures below
Yes, the Volvo is similar but with a less generous hand space.

Oh, our CX3 facelift has the electronic handbrake switch on the drivers side, so the middle photo.

From an online image of the Volvo.

2018/68 CX-3 150ps AWD Sport Nav +, Machine Grey, Manual