Navigation SD Card and HUD

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
TimmyO

Post by TimmyO »

Afternoon
I've recently purchased a 'Genuine' Mazda map SD card from an eBay seller. This one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/285142832339. The only difference that I can see between this new card and the one that came with the car are the numbers. The maps appear to work fine
The old card no. - BJM7 66 EZ1 F
The new card no. - BJM7 66 EZ1 U
I'm experiencing an annoying issue, in that the speed limit icon that flashed up on the HUD, with the new card inserted is not showing on all roads I'm driving on. Previously on the same roads they did. The new card is a 2023 one, so I was hoping that it might take in some of the changes that have taken place.
Has anyone else experienced this when installing a different card?
It's not a major issue I know and I survived perfectly well before I had a HUD!! But now I've got it I'd sort of like it to function properly :)
Thanks
Tim
July 2017. CX 3 GT Sport. Meteor Grey. 2.0 Petrol. Auto

jtonline

Post by jtonline »

Probably now needs an Operating System update on the infotainment unit. A dealer can do it but will probably charge as car is out of warranty. OS updates are not released to the general public, but can be DIY if you have the files and can follow instructions to the letter. Send a private message to ASH8 over at mazda3revolution.com if you don't want to use a dealer.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
st3v3cx-3

Post by st3v3cx-3 »

Out of curiosity, have you tried using the card in Mazda Toolbox to either check the map date - letter U should be 2022/23 map data - or make a backup in case of any future problems with the SD card?

Reason I ask is I bought the same version of card from a different UK based eBay seller and whilst it seemed to work ok, when I tried using it in Mazda Toolbox I got an immediate error message saying "License error ... the Map SD card you are using has been involved in fraudulent activity ....."

I did get a full refund but it has put me off buying a newer card via eBay and I’ll either try the USB unit upgrade route or buy a larger screen sized phone and use the Waze map software for live traffic information. Could still use the existing SD card map - with sound turned off - and the HUD directions which will still work for the vast majority of routes.
Sport Nav Petrol Automatic FWD Arctic White plus options April 2016
TimmyO

Post by TimmyO »

That's interesting, I've plugged the SD card into Mazda Toolbox and it's not recognised!
Tim
Percy247

Post by Percy247 »

Shock, horror, person buys cheap hacked non original map SD card off eBay and it doesn't work 100% properly! Seriously, what do expect!

Ironically, I bought the same card off AliExpress at half the price and it does work properly!
2016 Mazda 2 Sport Nav 1.5 Skyactiv Diesel.
TimmyO

Post by TimmyO »

Well, Firmware updated successfully. The lack of speed limits showing on the HUD on some roads has now been resolved. So £28 on the new SD card was money well spent! Apparently this was a known issue which the firmware fixed, or so it says on the changelog. I'm happy with that, thanks for the advice JT.
Tim
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

TimmyO wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:14 pm ...thanks for the advice JT.

You're welcome :)
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
pallgeir

Post by pallgeir »

Percy247 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:24 pm Shock, horror, person buys cheap hacked non original map SD card off eBay and it doesn't work 100% properly! Seriously, what do expect!

Ironically, I bought the same card off AliExpress at half the price and it does work properly!
Have you tried to update it with Mazda toolbox? You know if that is possible?

P
HouseSpider

Post by HouseSpider »

I tried the one I bought on the toolbox before returning to seller. The toolbox didn't recognise the format or file extension.
Sports Nav Auto Petrol 2017, 131bhp (chipped), Soul Red, Half Stone Leather, Safety Pack, Arm Rest, Auto Folding Mirror Kit, Detachable Tow Bar, HatchBag Boot Liner, Stebel Nautilus Compact horn. Space saver.