Issue with coolant temp

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
fillip2k

Post by fillip2k »

Hi all!

So I have an issue where my coolant temp cold light keeps coming on even when the car should be warmed up. It can take anywhere from 15-20 minutes of driving for the blue coolant light to go off. However, then sometimes after a bit more driving the cold coolant temp light will come on again. This only when the engine is being started from a cold start. So in the mornings or at the end of the day when the car has been parked up all day.

The other day it even happened as I was driving to my parents almost 70 miles away. On the motorway the light of off as one would expect. Then when I was close to their house and coming down a steep hill, where I would have been traveling slowly. The light popped on again!

I previously asked the dealership to look at the issue. They said they could find nothing wrong with the cooling system. Although they would not have been testing it from a proper cold start.

I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue before and what I need to suggest to the dealership for them to take this seriously and sort it out. Its been happening more frequently now as the outside temp has dropped. I don't really want to be driving around in winter wearing my engine out due to it being cold!

Cheers!
2018 Arctic White Sport Nav+ Petrol 2.0 (121bhp)

Percy247

Post by Percy247 »

Faulty coolant temperature sensor? Just a guess. Is your heater working properly and kicking out a decent amount of heat?
2016 Mazda 2 Sport Nav 1.5 Skyactiv Diesel.
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
fillip2k

Post by fillip2k »

jtonline wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:24 pm Coolant Control Valve ?
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/ ... 6-0001.pdf
Thanks Julian, that's really helpful and the blurb at the beginning describes perfectly the issue I am having. Although I have no check engine light on mine...

I'll ring Johnson's tomorrow and see what they say. I just drove back from the cinema tonight and the cold coolant temp light was on the entire drive home...
fillip2k

Post by fillip2k »

Booked in with Johnsons for it to be looked at.

The guy seemed to not really pay any attention to me asking about the TSB above. Really unhappy with the dealer experience so far.

They also seem to want to charge me to have the vehicle looked at, which considering it was only bought from them less than 3 months ago is pretty galling! I said to the overly chipper lady on the phone I wouldn't be paying them to look at it as its only been 3 months since I bought this "used approved" Mazda from them!