Steam in rear lamps

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
Mektub

Post by Mektub »

Hello everybody I am pretty fresh on the forum, only collected my new cx3 a week ago. The car is absolutely brilliant but unfortunately I have spotted an issue already. Due to the last persistent rain, steam appeared in my rear lights :cry: . If anybody have similar issue? Have you an idea if I can claim condensation to my dealer as a warranty and ask for lights replacement?

20170203_113520.jpg

20170203_113532.jpg

jtonline

Post by jtonline »

Hi., and welcome to the forums.

Check with your Mazda dealer, but I believe there is a Technical Service Bulletin on this subject which says that small amounts of condensation like this in the headlight/taillight is a natural phenomenon (occurring when there is a fairly large temperature difference between the inside and the outside of the light housing) and not a quality defect.

It should clear by itself, but If you can put the car into a warm garage, remove the bulb and blow cold (not hot) air from a hair dryer into the taillight housing for 5 to 10 minutes it will dry out the air. If that doesn't clear the condensation then there may be water getting into the taillight housing due to a bad seal and that would be covered by warranty.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
Mektub

Post by Mektub »

Thank you for a feedback. After the sunny afternoon yesterday steam disappeared and reappeared this morning again after chilly, damp night....if that normal in the brand new car?
Percy247

Post by Percy247 »

Today, I finally got round to looking at the condensation in the nearside rear light of our Mazda 2 and I am glad I did. I removed the light and poured out about 150ml of water that had accumulated and was not draining out.

The lens appears to be either just clipped or bonded to the black housing and there doesn't seem to be any foam or rubber gasket. I applied a bead of clear silicone between the lens and the housing all way round. I then dried out the interior of the light. Then I cleaned any mud from the light recess on the car. Hopefully, that sorts the problem.
2016 Mazda 2 Sport Nav 1.5 Skyactiv Diesel.