Mazda CX-3 iStop - problem or no problem?

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
Yakuu

Post by Yakuu »

First of all...

HELLO EVERYBODY 8-)

Second...

Please accept my apologies if such topic has already been made somewhere :oops:

To the point...

On friday I have bought my Mazda CX-3 (2016, 2.0 AWD) in Soul Red color and I am loving it! I have made with the car almost 550km and everything is working fine but for... iStop :idea: The "function" has never (even once) worked in my car. The battery is fully charged, the density of the fluid in the battery is around 1.23 and everything else is working fine. When the car (engine) is turned off, I check the fuel consumption menu via the multimedia system where iStop system is and... it says, iSTOP READY. When I turn on the engine, the iSTOP gets into state NOT READY. I drive the car for about 30minutes, get the engine warm, gently use the AC and I can see that the "bricks" on the screen are charging. When I stop on the traffic lights... nothing happens, iSTOP does not work - I mean it does not turn off the engine. I have called my dealer and the told me that I should relax, drive some more and the iSTOP will start working...... honestly? I think it is bull$hit and they are simply pushing me back. Before I bought my CX-3 I drove the test/demo car from Mazda and iSTOP worked almost every damn time! The car had 2300km on the "counter" and it was also a 2.0 AWD version.

Now... can anybody explain to me what the hell is wrong with my iSTOP? Jesus, I had (still have it) for 8 years the RX-8 with the Rotary engine inside it and everything was working fine - even though people are telling $hit about the rotaries heh Now I wanted to have some "Star-Trek car" with high-end future technology inside it and the iSTOP is killing me..

I know that I have to close the doors, fasten my seatbelt, use the AC gently, dont have a high voltage consumption for the iSTOP to work but... jesussssss f... christ... really? Will the system work?!

Does anybody of you know any explanation to this? Any advice? Some help? I can add that no iSTOP light is illuminating or anything. Only for a few seconds when I am starting the car and the computer is checking if the car is "OK".

I will appreciate any answer that may ease my stress or find a solution.

Sorry for my language and grammar mistakes, am not a native English speaker.

Thank you in advance,
Yakuu
2016 - Soul Red - Mazda CX-3 2.0 AWD Sky Passion - Petrol - ArmRest - Navi - Chrome Fittings

Gus

Post by Gus »

I don't think you need to be so emotional on here :D Do you have the info screen on the istop info screen, that should tell you why istop is not working, it can be that you are not pressing hard enough on the brake or steering wheel is not centered.
CX-3, Sport Nav, Auto, Petrol, Soul Red Metallic, Half Stone Leather, Sep 2015 to Sep 2018.
CX-5, Sport Nav+, Auto, Petrol, Soul Red Crystal Metallic, Sep 2018.
Yakuu

Post by Yakuu »

Hehe I just hate it when I have something and it is not working :lol:

Info screen? You mean the one with the car on it, 4 wheels and the thing charging the "battery"? If yes, on my screen I got all the time the "blue" engine and "blue" AC system. The battery is "clear" - check the photo I have uploaded. The strange thing is, when I put the battery on a charger, the "NIE GOTOWY" (NOT READY) turns into "GOTOWY" (READY) but when I unplug the charger and start the car it returns to NOT READY - as I wrote before, the battery was checked in any possible way - she is perfectly fine.

Oh, the screen is in Polish language, did not have the time to change it to ENG :P

Cheers!
Yakuu

20160808_171606.jpg

2016 - Soul Red - Mazda CX-3 2.0 AWD Sky Passion - Petrol - ArmRest - Navi - Chrome Fittings
Gus

Post by Gus »

My knowledge is limited here as I don't have the energy capture system (I-eloop) but the bottom section on mine would indicate that the battery is the issue, when mine is i-stopping all of them are blue hence I guess nie gotowy, might be worth a quick read of the manual round the energy capture, but what worries me is when you have the battery on the charger it all goes blue makes me wonder if it is the battery causing the issue unless there is something specific with I-eloop that disables the engine stop.
CX-3, Sport Nav, Auto, Petrol, Soul Red Metallic, Half Stone Leather, Sep 2015 to Sep 2018.
Yakuu

Post by Yakuu »

Yeah, that is the strange thing you know. When the battery is on charger, everything seems to be in order - all icons are blue. I take the charger off and pufffff... battery turns into not-blue :cry:

Yesterday I have been driving for about an hour, the bricks were fully charged but still the iSTOP function was not ready (battery was not blue) I have no idea what is wrong with what :shock: Is is the iSTOP system, the battery, the computer, the software?

The worst thing is, that Mazda is telling me... just drive, it is normal.

But is it really...?
Gus

Post by Gus »

in my mind, no, take it back and request they prove it is working ok to your satisfaction or fix it, try the demonstrator and compare?
Yakuu

Post by Yakuu »

Yeah, been thinking the same. Will visit them next week - so that they cannot send me back with bull$hit like "Dear Sir, you need more km on your car to get it working".

Anyway, just wondering why the system is not working huh :?:
anchorman

Post by anchorman »

I would suggest it's definitely down to the battery and if it only wants charging, you must use a deep cycle charger for your stop start battery.

CTEK do one but your dealer should have too. You might need to leave it there so I would prefer to buy the right charger.
CX-5 Sportnav diesel auto. AWD
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

According to a Mazda document I was reading about I-stop on the SKYACTIV-G 2.0 engine on a Mazda3:-

There's a current sensor connected to the negative terminal. It's one of the things that i-stop monitors to decide whether or not to switch off the engine.

If you start the engine with the bonnet raised, i-stop will not function until the engine is switched off and then restarted with the bonnet closed.

If the negative battery cable is disconnected, specific information stored in the i-stop PCM will be erased. Therefore, a Mazda dealer should perform a 'battery condition initialization learning (i-stop learning)' procedure after reconnecting. This includes steering angle sensor initialization setting.

When checking battery voltage with a circuit tester, if the battery voltage is less than 12.5 V or 12.7 V or more, the i-stop control may not operate normally.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
Yakuu

Post by Yakuu »

Thank you for the replies Gents :)

What do you mean by "deep cycle charge"? I left mine on a charger for 24hours, the electrolyte was charged up to 1,23 and the battery was fully charged.
According to Mazdas manual, the values of the battery in my car are correct so everything should work heh

So, to cut the long story short, if I disconnect the negative terminal on my battery, everything will reset am I correct? Does anyone of you got a manual about the iSTOP learning procedure maybe? I know that on my RX-8 I had to make a "learning procedure" to make the car going OK after the negative terminal has been disconnected - steering wheel angle calibration, window calibration, idle rpms calibration ect ect.