Paint problem ?

New to the CX3 Forums? Introduce yourself here
Deleted User 406

Post by Deleted User 406 »

I've got a load of paint chips not just on the bonnet but even on the passenger doors!!

jtonline

Post by jtonline »

Mazda have tinkered around with the paint process over the years to reduce emissions of volatile organic compounds (VOC) and CO2.

From what I can gather, their latest Aqua-tech Paint System uses an E-coating then water-based colour basecoat and then a urethane clear coat. They have done away with the primer layer, the major function of which was anti-chipping, and now rely on the clear coat to provide the anti-chipping. The preheating (flash off) drying process that is applied between the base and clear top coats has been changed from hot air drying & then cooling to using a precisely controlled infra-red heater to save energy costs.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
Deleted User 406

Post by Deleted User 406 »

Shame their paint finish has a lot of orange peel too.
anchorman

Post by anchorman »

rockposer wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:06 pm Shame their paint finish has a lot of orange peel too.
The worst orange peel I've seen on any modern car. All those in the showroom have an almost matt finish but only the CX-3s for some reason. I'm sure mine wasn't that bad.
CX-5 Sportnav diesel auto. AWD
zoylander

Post by zoylander »

I chose the solid colour Arctic White not to save money but to save paint problems. Safegard treatments were applied to the paint and the upholstery before delivery. It is well known that red is a weak pigment and that white is a strong one. In 6000 miles covering everything from local shopping trips to fast motorway journeys I have found no paint chips, and any that I might find in the future will be easy to deal with. It's white!

In my experience the only downside to white is that it shows up dirt and squashed insects.
CX-3 SE 2.0L 2WD Auto. 43.5mpg.