Spare wheel options

All Mazda CX-3 related discussions
BRY

Post by BRY »

Yes but aways a first time then it’s to late.
Cx-3 SE-L Navigation Auto petrol eternal blue 2019

UKDucatiman

Post by UKDucatiman »

I guess its all down to your risk appetite for experiencing a puncture without an effective on-board recovery option and the importance of completing your journey without delay. The Mazda offering is very expensive and should only be considered for a rear tyre failure. In the event of a front puncture you will need to fit swap out a rear to the front and then fit your space saver. A lot of time and effort required and depending where the incident happens an increasing risk to your safety.

My last car of 4 years also did not have any type of spare and I never experience a puncture. My plan in the event of an incident was to call out the recovery service bundled with the cars warranty and get taken to a local garage to complete the repair. On reflection probably not the best solution especially if it happened out of hours!

As I normally don't have anything in the boot I'm likely going to go for one of these.

https://motornuts.co.uk/mazda-cx-3-2015 ... XnEALw_wcB

Provides another option to the can of gunk and reasonably priced. However In the event anything happens in a high traffic area it will be a call to Mazda road-side recovery!
Sport Nav 2.0 Auto Petrol 2WD. Deep Crystal Blue Mica with Half Stone Leather Interior.
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

in 30 years of motoring, cars and bikes, I've had 1 puncture. Even that was only a dodgy valve which meant I could inflate the tyre to continue

I'll take my chances without a spare and keep the c£400 in the bank as "insurance" to pay for a recovery
zoylander

Post by zoylander »

I have not claimed on my insurance for 16 years, and then it was a "no fault", but I don't regard the premiums as a waste of money.

When I was about to set off on my first long car journey alone in 1967, my father's advice was "always allow 20 minutes for a puncture", so perhaps peace of mind is more important to the older generation.
CX-3 SE 2.0L 2WD Auto. 43.5mpg.
p6nsh

Post by p6nsh »

I have fitted a full size spare because when I bought the car I was doing quite a few trips to France .my daughter used to live there.I would hate to think what would happen if you had a blow out on a toll motorway and all you had in the boot was a tin of gunge
Machine Grey Sport Nav+ 150ps AWD Auto with safety Pack
Handy Andy

Post by Handy Andy »

alanandlyn wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:19 pm
1Monty wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:11 pm
zoylander wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:19 pm I would not leave home without a spare wheel.
I had the car delivered with the full space saver kit which cost £332.64 including VAT.
A small price to pay for peace of mind.

I agree zoylander.
Weird how we all think. My initial reaction was against the "no spare wheel" option but then I thought - hang on, I've run a VW Polo for 7 years and never used the spare wheel so what a waste of money that was. I've now had my CX-3 for 2 years and haven't missed the spare wheel so I'm not convinced by the "peace of mind argument".
I felt the same until I got a flat after hitting a rock in the road which I guess had fallen out of the dry stone wall, down a Cornish country lane late at night with no mobile phone signal to call for help! It tore a hole in the tyre wall, something that no amount of sealant would had fixed. My then car had a spare and I was able to change it. So from now on it's "no spare - no go"
Car sold - but still following Mazda.
Brum1955

Post by Brum1955 »

I read the article on fitting a full size (18in) wheel with interest. Do the styrene inserts serve any useful purpose? it seems to me that omitting them frees up the space around the wheel for more storage and also saves £59.24 in parts.
Most people these days are covered by breakdown insurance so they would jack up the car and change the wheel for you, omitting the jack and associated parts saves a further £78.04. Just fitting an 18in alloy wheel complete with Toyo tyre and insulator can be done for £248.84, considreably cheaper than the space saver kit.
Just taken delivery of CX3 Sport Nav 2000 petrol manual in Eternal Blue Mica. This replaces my 21 year old Xedos Sport 2 litre V6.
steve iow

Post by steve iow »

I’m confused about all the talk about having to modify the mouldings for a full-size wheel to fit ,what happens when you have to use the slim spare to The punctured wheel,where do you put it if it doesn’t fit in the space of the spare wheel
steve iow
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

Brum1955 wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:56 pm I read the article on fitting a full size (18in) wheel with interest. Do the styrene inserts serve any useful purpose? it seems to me that omitting them frees up the space around the wheel for more storage and also saves £59.24 in parts.
Most people these days are covered by breakdown insurance so they would jack up the car and change the wheel for you, omitting the jack and associated parts saves a further £78.04. Just fitting an 18in alloy wheel complete with Toyo tyre and insulator can be done for £248.84, considreably cheaper than the space saver kit.

Yes I suppose you could omit the inserts as the wheel is held in place by a bolt (providing you extend it's length). I would make sure you keep at least one of the towing eye hooks in the boot somewhere though. IMHO if you're going to fit a wheel you may as well pay a bit extra and get a jack and associated parts so you always have the option of doing the wheel swap yourself.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

steve iow wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:46 pm I’m confused about all the talk about having to modify the mouldings for a full-size wheel to fit ,what happens when you have to use the slim spare to The punctured wheel,where do you put it if it doesn’t fit in the space of the spare wheel

If the car doesn't have a spare wheel installed, you won't have the correct sized boot inserts. If you purchase the space-saver wheel kit it will come with the correct boot inserts. The space-saver boot inserts are big enough to accommodate a full size wheel. If you're going to fit a full size spare wheel then you purchase the same inserts that come as part of the space-saver kit.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd