losing power

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
Peter55

Post by Peter55 »

jtonline wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:55 pm The filter didn't 'fail early', it did it's job and filtered out whatever it was that caused it to get blocked before it went further through the system. The manufacturer should not be expected to carry out diagnostics and repair of such issues under warranty, however, Mazda have reimbursed the OP so well done them.

In 2,000 miles, a lot of diesel will have flowed through the filter so I don't see why people are saying that it's likely Mazda's / dealer's fault. We don't know where the OP buys the majority of the diesel used, or the last tank full, and if other people buying from the same place have or will experience issues. It's not unheard of to have bad batches and it's not down to supermarket versus big brands.

Have a read of this article from The Telegraph in 2013 where the RAC were experiencing an increase in levels of callouts in the east of the country due to blocked diesel fuel filters. The article says "...Although the cause of the malfunction is unknown, experts believe it may be down to the effects of cold weather on biodiesel, which is added to all road diesel by law..." and David Bizley, RAC technical director, is reported to have said "...there is no difference in the quality of fuel sold in supermarkets compared with other retailers, but the fact the problem is far more common in the east of the country than the west suggests there could be a difference in the composition of fuel being sold in some areas..."
Long time ago in the distant ‘80s I was the proud owner of a Diahatsui Four Trac

Imagine my excitement when I opened the curtains and saw snow ( we lived in the sunny south then)

Jumped in engaged 4WD and set off, 100 yards later ground to a halt

Finally after getting recovered, when snow allowed, dealer diagnosed blocked diesel filter due to fuel waxing in the cold

Car off the road for 2 weeks due to all other diesel cars doing the same

For the next few months added additives, but no snow or frost for the rest of the winter
Sport Nav Petrol Auto Dynamic Blue
Armrest
Front Sensors

DaveG

Post by DaveG »

Whilst it is very interesting and informative, Fridge is just seeking the reason why he had the problem, and reassurance that it will not be a ongoing issue.
I don't agree that members are blaming the dealer, just to be told by them not to use supermarket fuel and that it is pig fat blocking the filter is an unacceptable responce to a concerned customer. :?:
CX3 Sport Nav - Petrol - Auto - safety pack - snowflake white - 2019
Fridge

Post by Fridge »

Yes I was disappoint with the dealer but very satisfied with Mazda direct, the car has been filled with both premium and supermarket fuel, we always fill at a quarter of the tank level so dont use the dregs. I use a van and use the same supermarket for filling up with no problems, I did phone the supermarket and ask if anybody else had problems and they assured me nobody had.....and as said above I am looking for advice , reassurance and education more than anything else
DaveG

Post by DaveG »

Hi Fridge hope this doesn't sound patronizing but this is what I would do.....first of all all diesel fuel from around October has an additive added to prevent waxing in the cold weather, which is what your dealer is saying happened to your filter (ie the pig fat).

I would visit the dealership in person and speak to the service manager ask him to explain how this has happened, and how many other vehicles they have had in with the same problem during the current cold spell, that is presuming the problem ocurred during a spell of sub zero weather. forget about the old chestnut supermarket fuel they all have a anti waxing additive added as I said around October.

If you do not get a satisfactory answer as to what caused the issue contact Mazda and speak to technical backup all manufacturers have them in some form or the other.

Also as you know your service records are held in the Mazda system and are available to any dealership, you could also visit another one for a opinion.
anchorman

Post by anchorman »

Well I’ve been working on modern diesels for some time and the amount of damage supermarket diesel can do is incredible. As JT says, the additive package goes in at the time of loading the tanker and supermarket diesel is no different than supermarket beans. It isn’t cheaper because of the volume or a nice little thank you to loyal customers, it’s cheaper because it has a lean additive package. Would it plug a fuel filter? I doubt it but again, as JT suggests, it might plug or wax at lower temperatures. That is more likely to be down to how it is stored. Big fuel stations with a high turnover of fuel are less prone to contamination than these small out of town garages. Anybody naive enough to believe there is no difference in fuel from a supermarket and branded fuel, crack on and you might be lucky depending on what sort of driving you do.
CX-5 Sportnav diesel auto. AWD
Peter55

Post by Peter55 »

anchorman wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:05 am Well I’ve been working on modern diesels for some time and the amount of damage supermarket diesel can do is incredible. As JT says, the additive package goes in at the time of loading the tanker and supermarket diesel is no different than supermarket beans. It isn’t cheaper because of the volume or a nice little thank you to loyal customers, it’s cheaper because it has a lean additive package. Would it plug a fuel filter? I doubt it but again, as JT suggests, it might plug or wax at lower temperatures. That is more likely to be down to how it is stored. Big fuel stations with a high turnover of fuel are less prone to contamination than these small out of town garages. Anybody naive enough to believe there is no difference in fuel from a supermarket and branded fuel, crack on and you might be lucky depending on what sort of driving you do.
What about petrol?

Surely not as important as it is for you poor old oil burners
Sport Nav Petrol Auto Dynamic Blue
Armrest
Front Sensors
DaveG

Post by DaveG »

800,000 miles in twenty years using Tesco diesel with no problems....guess I must be one of the naive lucky ones then.
anchorman

Post by anchorman »

DaveG wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:16 pm 800,000 miles in twenty years using Tesco diesel with no problems....guess I must be one of the naive lucky ones then.
Guess so.
anchorman

Post by anchorman »

Peter55 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:36 pm
anchorman wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:05 am Well I’ve been working on modern diesels for some time and the amount of damage supermarket diesel can do is incredible. As JT says, the additive package goes in at the time of loading the tanker and supermarket diesel is no different than supermarket beans. It isn’t cheaper because of the volume or a nice little thank you to loyal customers, it’s cheaper because it has a lean additive package. Would it plug a fuel filter? I doubt it but again, as JT suggests, it might plug or wax at lower temperatures. That is more likely to be down to how it is stored. Big fuel stations with a high turnover of fuel are less prone to contamination than these small out of town garages. Anybody naive enough to believe there is no difference in fuel from a supermarket and branded fuel, crack on and you might be lucky depending on what sort of driving you do.
What about petrol?

Surely not as important as it is for you poor old oil burners
Less so Peter but any branded fuel is better for your engine and occasional use of high grade fuel will help keep things clean.
DaveG

Post by DaveG »

Hi anchorman, Now you have put doubts in my mind I will have to use the premium fuel in my Mazda,thanks for that I am just a poor pensioner :lol: