MZD Connect and disconnecting the battery

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
hsdejong

Post by hsdejong »

When you disconnect the battery for months, does the MZD Connect system lose its settings such as favorite destinations (navigation) or safety settings?
  • Mazda CX-5 2023 Exclusive-Line (Black Comfort Pack) Petrol FWD Manual Soul Red Crystal Metallic

jtonline

Post by jtonline »

No it should be fine. According to TAX in this thread Disconnecting vehicle battery, he had his battery negative terminal disconnected for 5 months with no ill effects when reconnected.

Note that Mazda say that when disconnecting/connecting the negative battery cable, you need to make sure to perform it smoothly in one action, avoiding any repeated momentary contact to the battery pole that causes a spark. Not following this caution may cause an excessive voltage variation to the Body Control Module (BCM) in the vehicle, leading to electrical system malfunction(s).
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
hsdejong

Post by hsdejong »

I am going to put my car in the garage for at least three months.
If I leave the battery connected, it will be flat after about a month and a half, due to the parasitic average current of around 55 mA.

It's good to read that when the battery is disconnected the settings are not erased, because setting all the radio and destination favorites in the system took a long time.
  • Mazda CX-5 2023 Exclusive-Line (Black Comfort Pack) Petrol FWD Manual Soul Red Crystal Metallic
hsdejong

Post by hsdejong »

jtonline wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:27 pm No it should be fine. According to TAX in this thread Disconnecting vehicle battery, he had his battery negative terminal disconnected for 5 months with no ill effects when reconnected.
Confirmed :-)
After I had reconnected the battery after three months, no settings were lost.
In the Applications section, the next maintenance date was advanced by three months.
st3v3cx-3

Post by st3v3cx-3 »

hsdejong wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:59 pm
jtonline wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:27 pm No it should be fine. According to TAX in this thread Disconnecting vehicle battery, he had his battery negative terminal disconnected for 5 months with no ill effects when reconnected.
Confirmed :-)
After I had reconnected the battery after three months, no settings were lost.
In the Applications section, the next maintenance date was advanced by three months.
Thanks for posting that update. It is so useful when an owner / original poster can confirm the answer given was exactly as anticipated.
Sport Nav Petrol Automatic FWD Arctic White plus options April 2016
hsdejong

Post by hsdejong »

hsdejong wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:59 pmAfter I had reconnected the battery after three months, no settings were lost.
I forgot to mention:
After reconnecting the battery I had to initialise the Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS).

From the Mazda Owners Manual:
In the following cases, system initialisation must be performed so that the system operates normally.
  • A tyre pressure is adjusted.
  • Tyre rotation is performed.
  • A tyre or wheel is replaced.
  • The battery is replaced or completely drained.
  • The tyre pressure monitoring system warning light is illuminated.