Issues after misfuelling 1.5 diesel

All Mazda CX-3 related discussions
Percy247

Post by Percy247 »

I have also just learnt that are there two EGRs (a high pressure one and a low pressure one) and an EGR cooler which will all fill up with cr@p over time! I am keen to track down the upstream Lambda/O2 sensor and try and clean it. Do you have any idea where it is?

With regards the suspension, I don’t know what the problem is. It feels like something is loose and knocking. I have driven over a few drain grates and the near side side seem OK. I asked the wife if she had driven into any potholes and she was a bit coy! The investigations will continue and I might have to get it on a ramp to make things easier.
2016 Mazda 2 Sport Nav 1.5 Skyactiv Diesel.

Wass

Post by Wass »

Some really useful information here. Mis- fueling as car is one of my reasons not to drive a diesel. I simply dont trust myself. Modern diesels seem to be very susceptible to having issues with running on petrol. More than 40 years ago, we would routinely run landrover diesels with a gallon of petrol in them during the fill up during winter. It hardly seems possible now. I recall fitting a 12 megawatt power generation station with a dozen brand new diesels which just refused point blank to start without a cup full of petrol poured down the turbo inlet at any ambient below 5C until they all had around 200 hours on each of them. Clearly I wouldnt get away with playing tricks like that in this day and age.
2018 CX-3 SE-L NAV 2l auto fwd,white
Graeme67

Post by Graeme67 »

Wass wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:47 pm Some really useful information here. Mis- fueling as car is one of my reasons not to drive a diesel. I simply dont trust myself. Modern diesels seem to be very susceptible to having issues with running on petrol. More than 40 years ago, we would routinely run landrover diesels with a gallon of petrol in them during the fill up during winter. It hardly seems possible now. I recall fitting a 12 megawatt power generation station with a dozen brand new diesels which just refused point blank to start without a cup full of petrol poured down the turbo inlet at any ambient below 5C until they all had around 200 hours on each of them. Clearly I wouldnt get away with playing tricks like that in this day and age.
Same as trying to drive a modern petrol with diesel in it, They simply don't like it.. No need to add small amounts of petrol to a Diesel now, They have anti waxing compounds added to the fuel stopping this problem in winter
2017 CX 3 1.5 Diesel Sport Nav
Graeme67

Post by Graeme67 »

Percy247 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:12 pm I have also just learnt that are there two EGRs (a high pressure one and a low pressure one) and an EGR cooler which will all fill up with cr@p over time! I am keen to track down the upstream Lambda/O2 sensor and try and clean it. Do you have any idea where it is?

With regards the suspension, I don’t know what the problem is. It feels like something is loose and knocking. I have driven over a few drain grates and the near side side seem OK. I asked the wife if she had driven into any potholes and she was a bit coy! The investigations will continue and I might have to get it on a ramp to make things easier.
Didn't know they had 2 EGR's. Don't know where the upper O2 sensor is, I will have a trawl online and see if i can find anything about it.
Percy247

Post by Percy247 »

And the fun continues......

This morning i took my daughter to her weekly doctors appointment. 200 yards from the clinic I get a wooshing sound from underneath the car and one tyre goes flat instantly.

So I pull over and find a 1 ich piece of sharp metal embedded in the tyre. The tyre sealant would have been useless, so I persuaded my Dad to bring out a winter wheel and tool kit. It was quicker than waiting to be recovered back home!

This car is definitely trying my patience. I filled up on the way home. It took 40 litres of diesel after travelling 493 miles, giving me 56.08mpg. Not to shabby but welll down on the 72 and 69mpg I got on the previous two tanks.

I then reset the trip but the average consumption did not reset like it usually does. I think I might disconnect the battery for a few minutes to reboot everything and hopeful get rid of some gremlins.
Graeme67

Post by Graeme67 »

Disconnect it overnight, see what happens. Might improve things
Percy247

Post by Percy247 »

Sorted a few issues. Resetting trip B does not reset fuel consumption, need to reset trip A.

I tracked the knocking down to the front offside wheel and found the caliper carrier was loose and rattling. Not best pleased but noise has gone now.

I don't know if the loose carrier has caused the pads to drag on the discs and affected fuel consumption.

There is still somethng not right as the car pulls slightly to the right under braking and the gap between the top of the tyre and wheel arch is 1.5cm lower on the offside.

I decided to recalibrate the fuel injectors and will keep an eye things for a few weeks before taking any further action on all matters.
Graeme67

Post by Graeme67 »

Pulling to the right usually means offside brake calliper. Might be sticking, Probably needs some grease on the slide bolts. You might have a broken spring if one side is lower. Might just be on uneven ground.