Stone chips!

The place to discuss everything else..
Percy247

Post by Percy247 »

The paintwork on our 67,000 mile 16 Plate Mazda 2 is shockingly thin and fragile. I think the paint is crystal blue Mica with white primer!

The front bumper has about 200 stone chips on it and the bonnet had 50 chips on it. The wings and the doors had at least 15 on each and the roof another 10.

In comparison my 40,000 mile VW Passat has about 5 stone chips in total and my son's 30,000 mile Seat Mii has the same.

About a month ago I managed to scuff the front bumper of the Mazda whilst parking and this spurred me on to address the paintwork. I have touched up all the stone chips on all panels other than the front bumper. I am having the whole of the front bumper resprayed for not much more than the cost of the bumper repair.

Has Mazda improved the durability of its paintwork or are new cars still as bad? Next year my wife is 50 and she wants to swap the Mazda 2 to for a used Mazda MX-5 ND. Does anyone on here own the latest gen MX-5 and if so how many stone chips are on your car? What Mazda paint colours are best to minimise the unsightliness of stone chips?

Unless the paintwork issue has been sorted then I think I might steer her towards an Audi TT convertible.

Has anyone got more than the 350 stone chips that I have on their CX-3?
2016 Mazda 2 Sport Nav 1.5 Skyactiv Diesel.