Is this an air con leak? Simple fix?

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
StuartR

Post by StuartR »

Hi,

Drove over 100 miles on the motorway today and noticed a drop in mpg, compared to what I am used to. I also noticed foggy windscreen and windows, as if air con was not on.

Observations:
First few days of 0C - -2C temperatures.
On motorway MPG was sometimes sub 40mpg and even sitting in the 30s, while under light acceleration or even just feathering the gas to maintain speed.
Usually I would be expecting at least 60mpg. I even get this on my 20 mile motorway commute most days. Possible DPF regen which seemed to last for ages?? Could it be the low winter temperatures reduce MPG this significantly?

The air con did not seem to blow colder than the air coming into the car when turned on and off.
The MPGs did go up, but then fell again. Seemed somewhat sporadic as I watched the live MPG reading on the dash. Cannot believe I should expect to see around 34 mpg while on a motorway and driving alone quite normally.

I have attached a photo of something that may be relevant. The photo is the metal pipe running down from the air con gas valve. Greenish black residue.

20221211_184348.jpg

A google search also said that if the air con fails, it can make the engine work harder and increase fuel consumption... but by this much??

Any thoughts welcome.
Thanks,
Stu

p.s. another observation not seen before (which may be as a result of freezing temps lately)... on the motorway the day before, I noticed under acceleration, with a possible drop in mpgs, a lot of light steam like exhaust covering the rear window. Only under acceleration, and it evaporated albeit I couldn't see out of my rear window! I am hoping this was just a DPF regen as it stopped after 5 minutes or so and has not happened since. Is this normal in cold temperatures?

Mazda CX-3 1.5 diesel

StuartR

Post by StuartR »

Seems there is a leak from the AC.
Is this part easily fixed? Could it just be tightened or some kind of seal replaced?

20221212_090900.jpg

Graeme67

Post by Graeme67 »

That is green tracer dye/oil that you can see.. Inside that joint there is a rubber 'o' ring which has probably perished. Cost of replacing the o ring is about £1, New refill of gas will be about £125.. Needs to be done by a qualified Refrigeration / Air con engineer
2017 CX 3 1.5 Diesel Sport Nav
Percy247

Post by Percy247 »

In my experience UV dye is only added when a leak is already suspected and not at the factory? Have you owned the car from new?
2016 Mazda 2 Sport Nav 1.5 Skyactiv Diesel.
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

Mazda put UV dye in at the factory - see page 2 of this TSB 😉 https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/ ... 0-0001.pdf
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
Percy247

Post by Percy247 »

Schooled again by JT!
2016 Mazda 2 Sport Nav 1.5 Skyactiv Diesel.
StuartR

Post by StuartR »

It was in fact a leak from the rubber o-ring within the fitting.
Thanks Graeme67.
Cheap fix and re-gas without charge, as the air con was supposed to be fixed when I bought it used.
Thanks all.