Cx3 Drinking Coolant Over Hot 2022 Summer

All Mazda CX-3 related discussions
Vincent66

Post by Vincent66 »

Just a question: Has anyone checked their coolant this autumn/winter and noticed a big drop after the really hot summer?

My Cx3 typically uses a small amount of coolant each year. Guess some do, some don't. it just needs a small top up. Dealers use small sachets for this that mine does not sell . . .

After this summer though it drank down to 50% between Max and Min. I was stupid/slow so only noticed just before Christmas.

I have topped up, and done some long runs and it seems just fine at the moment.

If you need coolant, don't go to Halfords etc. Its special stuff. Go to nearest friendly Mazda dealer (Trial and error to find friendly one) and buy a 5L container of FL22 (Mazda dealer will sell you the right stuff)

Now the funny bit:

The Mazda system on the Mazda I've seen are not sealed like most cars.

There are two fillers:
  • Metal one - don't go anywhere near this one especially if engine hot - you could have a horrible accident
  • Black plastic one on the top of the expansion bottle - again best left until engine fully cold (after a decent run) so you get a proper reading
Rather than being sealed, when the engine gets hot via a pressure relief valve the hot engine blows the hot coolant into the expansion bottle (well dribbles it in so the level will rise as the engine heats)

When the engine cools and the coolant in the engine contracts, the liquid is sucked back from the expansion bottle.

So only check it when cold.

As it's hard to read, particularly in the dark I use a Rolson 60515 Two LED Telescopic Inspection Mirror and LED torches. Be very careful to only do this with the ignition off, and the engine fully cold. If you aren't at all sure leave it all to a dealer.

If you need to put more coolant in then use the black plastic cap on top of the expansion bottle, and I'm thinking that has an air vent in it (?) - so that bottle is not pressurised

To quote jtonline on coolant (will be a bit more expensive now) from a few years ago (I followed his excellent advice):

"Further to my earlier post, I've recently purchased a 5 litre bottle of Mazda pre-mixed FL22 coolant from my dealer for £12.82 inc. VAT.
Mazda part number C122CL005
Julian."
2016 Cx3 2L Petrol Auto