Prosective CX-3 Owner

New to the CX3 Forums? Introduce yourself here
PJBCX-3

Post by PJBCX-3 »

Hi all

Looked at a couple of Cx-3's and very impressed although not been able to Test Drive yet.

Will be doing a lot of motorway mileage so think best to go for the 1.5 or 1.8 diesel, 0-60mph is not a massive thing for us. Our budget is £10k so not sure we can afford the latter 1.8 unless go for high melieage, 100k plus.

Is mileage a major worry with these, seen a lot around the 100k mark and above at very reasonable prices but then go below 80k and people seem to want silly money in comparison. My knowledge of Mazda is they are really well built so as long as they have been maintained high mileage should not be an issue, is that right?

Is there anything else you can advise that I should check or look out for please.

Thanks for reading

Paul
2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, 1.5d, manual, white pearl

Andyl

Post by Andyl »

Went for the 2 litre petrol and I’m happy with my choice. Saw 49 mpg on a run recently and get about 43 mpg around town.

No diesel DPF issues to worry about and with petrol being so much cheaper than diesel I’m not too bothered about the mpg difference.

Decent engine to rev out too ( occasionally 😬 )

Lovely “ tight” car to drive.

Can’t answer about the higher mileage cars though.

Good luck.
2015 Dynamic Blue 2 litre petrol Sport Nav. 2007 2.0 L Sport MX5 in True Red.
st3v3cx-3

Post by st3v3cx-3 »

Some possible problems to check for early cars :-

- Some early CX-3s - up to approx Dec 2016 - were known to have potential air con problems with either the evaporator, condenser or the control dials. These should have been repaired in the 3 yr warranty period and the maintenance schedule for the car should show this fact.
- Some early CX-3s - upto approx Jan 2017 - were found to get rust around the rear camera / opener switch on the liftgate. Covered by warranty in the first 3 years.
- Some early CX-3s - upto approx Mar 2017 - were found to get excessive wear / peeling of the leather steering wheel covering. Again covered by warranty.

There are some other problems which have occurred on early cars, but probably no more than is general for other makes when new cars are introduced. Don't forget to use the Gov't site https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-recall to see if a car is subject to a recall which hasn't been addressed by a previous owner.

I agree with Andyl's comment about choosing petrol and avoiding the potential DPF issues. My petrol Sport has averaged just over 42mpg since I bought it new.
Sport Nav Petrol Automatic FWD Arctic White plus options April 2016
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

Had all of the above. Technical Service Bulletin and warranty work carried out isn't recorded on service records.
Other issues that come to mind are powered door mirrors that stop folding properly and corrosion on the alloy wheels.
At 75k I've had no DPF or engine problems (yet!).
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
TEB

Post by TEB »

From my brief ownership experience, i-eloop component faults (if fitted), front seat comfort due to very firm side bolsters (Sport Nav seats) and small patches of corrosion blistering the paint around the rear number plate lights as I've just found. With the latter it seems no protective lacquer coat has been applied to this part of the rear hatch during manufacture despite this area being exposed to the elements.

Great car mind, drives better than either the latest Mazda3 or the CX30 from my own experience.
2018/68 CX-3 150ps AWD Sport Nav +, Machine Grey, Manual
PJBCX-3

Post by PJBCX-3 »

Thanks everyone.

If the DPF issue were to occur what would be the damage cost wise?
Andyl

Post by Andyl »

I am a bit cynical on DPF systems.

Theoretically you shouldn’t have any issue if you do a mixture of short and long runs.

My other car is a Volvo S60 with a 2.4 lire 5 cylinder diesel in which I have done 40K miles in 3 years. No warning lights for the DPF

A couple of years back we had a second generation Mazda 3 2.2 Diesel and every 15K miles or so the DPF light would come on. After a search online there is a simple fix to reset the light that Mazda probably want £100+ to do exactly the same.
For me this is a cynical money making exercise.
2015 Dynamic Blue 2 litre petrol Sport Nav. 2007 2.0 L Sport MX5 in True Red.
st3v3cx-3

Post by st3v3cx-3 »

PJBCX-3 wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:10 pm Thanks everyone.

If the DPF issue were to occur what would be the damage cost wise?

Check out the posts on this thread for more information viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1594&start=10. Note that if you type something like DPF issues in the search box near the top left hand corner of this site's page then you'll find a series of related posts which might be worth viewing to get a variety of users' experiences.
Sport Nav Petrol Automatic FWD Arctic White plus options April 2016
Percy247

Post by Percy247 »

Andyl wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:44 pm I am a bit cynical on DPF systems.

Theoretically you shouldn’t have any issue if you do a mixture of short and long runs.

My other car is a Volvo S60 with a 2.4 lire 5 cylinder diesel in which I have done 40K miles in 3 years. No warning lights for the DPF

A couple of years back we had a second generation Mazda 3 2.2 Diesel and every 15K miles or so the DPF light would come on. After a search online there is a simple fix to reset the light that Mazda probably want £100+ to do exactly the same.
For me this is a cynical money making exercise.
I used to have a Mazda 6 GH with the 2.2 diesel engine and I believe for some reason Mazda in their wisdom made the DPF warning light double as a oil change warning light! Never saw it come on in 50,000 miles in 4 years, so I could be talking rubbish!
2016 Mazda 2 Sport Nav 1.5 Skyactiv Diesel.
PJBCX-3

Post by PJBCX-3 »

Thanks all, collecting this afternoon