I stop not working

All Mazda CX-3 related discussions
macdougal

Post by macdougal »

Appreciate this has been discussed a few times in these forums but just wanted to get the latest opinions.
Cx3 2.0L auto. I stop appears to have stopped working. Following prev advice, made sure everything else (fans, air con etc) turned off and this always seemed to work. Now nothing, I stop refusing to play ball. Car is not getting used as much recently only 2 or 3 times a week. Is this something to do with it? (Battery charge status). Also wondering if the cold could be affecting it, or a combination of both of the above?

jtonline

Post by jtonline »

Latest opinions haven't changed. Amongst a whole host of other required conditions, as I understand it the:
  • Battery state of charge condition must be 65.7% or more
  • Battery fluid temperature must be 0—70 °C {32—158 °F}
  • Battery voltage must be 11.2 V or more
  • Engine coolant temperature must be 30—110 °C {86—230 °F}
Cold weather affects the condition of the battery, particularly if it's old.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
st3v3cx-3

Post by st3v3cx-3 »

macdougal wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:58 pm Appreciate this has been discussed a few times in these forums but just wanted to get the latest opinions.
Cx3 2.0L auto. I stop appears to have stopped working. Following prev advice, made sure everything else (fans, air con etc) turned off and this always seemed to work. Now nothing, I stop refusing to play ball. Car is not getting used as much recently only 2 or 3 times a week. Is this something to do with it? (Battery charge status). Also wondering if the cold could be affecting it, or a combination of both of the above?
I my experience it's always the battery charge condition that prevents the i-stop working, once the engine is warmed up sufficiently of course. I always have the air con on so that never seems to come into the equation. Have you checked the status of the 3 elements - engine temp, battery and ac - in the Fuel Economy display? Think you'll find it's the battery icon that won't have the blue glow around it, signifying it isn't sufficiently charged, that is preventing i-stop being ready. This is likely to be the main problem in cold winter conditions particularly when a car isn't used daily. This is what I find, despite leaving the car in a garage where it is partially sheltered from the cold.
Sport Nav Petrol Automatic FWD Arctic White plus options April 2016
Percy247

Post by Percy247 »

If you have a trickle/normal battery charger then charge the battery overnight and check if the istop works the next day once warmed up etc.
2016 Mazda 2 Sport Nav 1.5 Skyactiv Diesel.
lhcmazda

Post by lhcmazda »

No guarantee that charging the battery will get the istop to work, I purchased a very expensive battery charger specifically designed for Stop / Start car operation, and it made no difference the iStop, still has a mind of it's own and operates as and when it likes. As Julian says there are a lot of parameters which have to be met to enable it's consistent operation of the istop facility.
2018 CX-3 Machine Grey 2.0 Petrol 150ps Auto Sports Nav AWD plus Safety Pack
Percy247

Post by Percy247 »

Check the screen in the fuel economy app. Look for the 3 icons in the bottom right corner. For Istop to work, all 3 most have a blue glow. Engine icon glows when up to temp and dpf not regerating. Battery icon glows when voltage is sufficient. A/C icon glows when A/C is off and fan is either off or low. I find that having the fan at the level I want disables the istop.
2016 Mazda 2 Sport Nav 1.5 Skyactiv Diesel.
HouseSpider

Post by HouseSpider »

lhcmazda wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:11 pm No guarantee that charging the battery will get the istop to work, I purchased a very expensive battery charger specifically designed for Stop / Start car operation, and it made no difference the iStop, still has a mind of it's own and operates as and when it likes. As Julian says there are a lot of parameters which have to be met to enable it's consistent operation of the istop facility.
An expensive battery charger won't mend a old dilapidated battery. I bought one with a reconditioning option which didn't work on my 5 yo battery. The only option was to get a new battery. I-stop then started to work properly again, and continues to do so in this cold weather.

However having the fan on demist (max) still disables i-stop.
Sports Nav Auto Petrol 2017, 131bhp (chipped), Soul Red, Half Stone Leather, Safety Pack, Arm Rest, Auto Folding Mirror Kit, Detachable Tow Bar, HatchBag Boot Liner, Stebel Nautilus Compact horn. Space saver.
lhcmazda

Post by lhcmazda »

I agree I was only stating that by charging the battery it doesn't mean that the istop will work, there are as I mentioned many parameters which have to be met to enable the istop operation.
2018 CX-3 Machine Grey 2.0 Petrol 150ps Auto Sports Nav AWD plus Safety Pack