Collect CX3 this weekend

New to the CX3 Forums? Introduce yourself here
Dazkel

Post by Dazkel »

Hi all I collect my new (5yr old) CX3 from Stoneacre with 23k on the clock this weekend, so question is what do I need to check and test before driving away please? Any known regular problems ect!!!

Graeme67

Post by Graeme67 »

Air Con working properly
2017 CX 3 1.5 Diesel Sport Nav
Percy247

Post by Percy247 »

If it's a diesel then I wouldn't collect it (unless you are regularly doing long journeys).
2016 Mazda 2 Sport Nav 1.5 Skyactiv Diesel.
PJBCX-3

Post by PJBCX-3 »

I'd say always test drive and check it over. If you find anything you can try and haggle the price down a little.
2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, 1.5d, manual, white pearl
Percy247

Post by Percy247 »

Mazdas have very thin paintwork which looks great when new but after 3-5 years can pick up lots of stone chips, especially if driven regularly on motorways. We have just had to have the front bumper repainted as it was looking unsightly.

Corrosion is likely to become an issue on a 5 year old Mazda soon. The brackets that hold the rear brake pipes collect mud and start to corrode the pipes leading to a MOT advisory. Chances are surface rust will be taking hold as well on suspension parts and chassis legs at the front of the car. All present on our car 6.5 year old car!

Apparently, they dont use salt on the roads in Japan and this leads Mazda to have a somewhat laid back attitude to rust prevention on its cars. A lot of 10 year old MX-5's are starting to look rotten now.
2016 Mazda 2 Sport Nav 1.5 Skyactiv Diesel.
TEB

Post by TEB »

Recently purchased a late 2018 AWD petrol model, my first Mazda, and would concur with looking out for corrosion, found the first signs of this around the rear number plate lights on the tailgate shortly after collecting it. Have been to the local authorised bodyshop, who were not surprised to see me bring a CX3 in with this issue, they have repaired a few apparently, though with far more advanced rust than mine. Still waiting to hear if Mazda UK will pick up the bill as its outside the paint warranty, though it does have a full Mazda service history.

Cars also had most of the i-eloop components changed too due to failure, though only the AWD petrol has this energy recovery system, plus I'm having a regular appearance of the city safe warning light on cold mornings due to fogging of the sensing lens, which can take half an hour of driving to clear, our old Volvo with a similar system doesn't suffer form this, so going to ask the dealer when it goes in for a new drivers wing mirror motor, as it oddly comes to life and moves the mirror when you open the door.

Otherwise apart from finding the seat uncomfortable particularly for longer trips (for me anyway) I really like the car to drive, seems well suited to dealing with poor condition rural roads despite the standard 18" alloys and the 'old school' normally aspirated 2ltr engine is far smoother than the small capacity turbo engines which have become increasingly popular over the years.
2018/68 CX-3 150ps AWD Sport Nav +, Machine Grey, Manual
st3v3cx-3

Post by st3v3cx-3 »

TEB wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:00 pm Recently purchased a late 2018 AWD petrol model, my first Mazda, and would concur with looking out for corrosion, found the first signs of this around the rear number plate lights on the tailgate shortly after collecting it. Have been to the local authorised bodyshop, who were not surprised to see me bring a CX3 in with this issue, they have repaired a few apparently, though with far more advanced rust than mine. Still waiting to hear if Mazda UK will pick up the bill as its outside the paint warranty, though it does have a full Mazda service history.

There was a similar rust problem found on the tailgate on some models produced up to Jan 2017. In that case "mud/dust adhered to the borders of the rear mount camera and tailgate opener switch mount bases which damaged the paint surface causing the paint thickness to decrease and generate rust."

The solution was to repair the rust patches and then to apply a protective film round both mounts to prevent direct interference with the paint surface. It was covered by either the 3 yr or paint and corrosion warranties. A production change was made which involved a new pad under the tailgate opening switch plus changes to the shape of the rear camera mount.

It seems the problem on your car's tailgate is very similar and hopefully Mazda UK will agree to fund the repair as a goodwill gesture.
Sport Nav Petrol Automatic FWD Arctic White plus options April 2016
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

TEB wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:00 pm ...found the first signs of this around the rear number plate lights on the tailgate shortly after collecting it. Have been to the local authorised bodyshop, who were not surprised to see me bring a CX3 in with this issue, they have repaired a few apparently, though with far more advanced rust than mine. Still waiting to hear if Mazda UK will pick up the bill as its outside the paint warranty, though it does have a full Mazda service history.
There is a Mazda TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) about rust forming around the reversing camera and tailgate opener switch caused by mud/dust adhered to the borders of the camera and switch mount bases which damage the paint surface causing the already thin paint thickness to decrease further and generate rust. The remedy is to deal with the rust & repaint the area, and apply a protector film (DBY0-62-864) around the camera and switch bases. I wouldn't be surprised if the same cause generates rust around the numberplate lights. You might get Mazda to pay for the repair as a gesture of goodwill as it's under five years old.
...I'm having a regular appearance of the city safe warning light on cold mornings due to fogging of the sensing lens, which can take half an hour of driving to clear, our old Volvo with a similar system doesn't suffer form this, so going to ask the dealer...
It's a design flaw and nothing you can do about it other than use the windscreen demister with the AC on and wait for the condensation to clear.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
TEB

Post by TEB »

Thanks for the replies to my observations; spoke to the dealer today and they are still waiting to hear from Mazda.

Oh to clarify the rust is not emanating from under the light units but in close proximity, suspect as suggested the paint is to thin to act as a moisture barrier.
2018/68 CX-3 150ps AWD Sport Nav +, Machine Grey, Manual
Dazkel

Post by Dazkel »

Thanks all for the updates and advise, all seems ok and really enjoying the car upto now :) :D

facebook_1676986244499_7033790113248026691.jpg

facebook_1676986225596_7033790033964028588.jpg

facebook_1676986203305_7033789940474374686.jpg