Service advice and costs

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
Dogfuzz

Post by Dogfuzz »

I’m due a major service very soon and wonder what I’ll be charged by a dealer and/or a reliable independent. I’m also intending to have the brake pads renewed( recent MOT advisory). Might change the windscreen rubbers for peace of mind too. How much should I allow for all this( vat included)
Vehicle just over five years old -21,000 miles.
What with lock down minimum use etc, the last service on this vehicle was an interim in late summer 2022,( oil change etc). Prior to that it had a dealers service spring 2020 and spring 2021
CX-3 SPORT NAV ,5 DOOR HATCHBACK,1998CC,PETROL-2018

Percy247

Post by Percy247 »

Main dealer will probably charge you about £250-300 for a major service. Allow £100 for pads but they probably will want to do the discs which will be another £200. So at a main dealer £550-600 ish all in and probably £350-£400 at a decent independent.

Windscreen rubbers should be fine. You could always get some rubber conditioner such as gummi flegde or similar to treat all the window and door seals.

I will be doing my own major service on the wife's M2 this autum and that will be max £75 in parts exactly the same as the changing the discs and pads cost me DIY.

As always shop around and compare prices!
2016 Mazda 2 Sport Nav 1.5 Skyactiv Diesel.
Dogfuzz

Post by Dogfuzz »

Very helpful thanks. I’ll do some ringing around. Attitude and “can do” will get the job.

A key priority for me is to get it done properly. If I have to pay more then so be it.

For interest-I quickly sussed that the cheapest way forward might have been to let one of the well known fast fit firms do it, but I’m not comfy with that. Perhaps I’m wrong. Most seem happy to take on most car makes, do servicing as well as brakes, tyres, exhausts etc
st3v3cx-3

Post by st3v3cx-3 »

I recently had the front pads replaced by a local independent shop for a cost of £114. The previous year I'd been quoted £225 by the Mazda dealer who'd carried out the yearly service. I declined then as the pads had enough miles left considering my annual mileage. This year's annual service was carried out by the Mazda dealer for £209. It was the very minor one 7 year one involving not more than a oil, oil filter and a number of inspection items. The previous year was the most comprehensive major 6 year/75,000 mile one, costing £544, which included replacement of the platinum spark plugs - they cost £135!

A 5 year old car needs a very minor service so I presume you've done more than 62,500 miles?
Sport Nav Petrol Automatic FWD Arctic White plus options April 2016
Dogfuzz

Post by Dogfuzz »

Most interesting the differences in cost between a “major” and “minor” service. I’m finding that independent garages just offer either of these as a norm for all makes.They don’t seem to know about the £500+ Mazda one-but I can easily understand the plugs cost.
My mileage is 21000 by the way
st3v3cx-3

Post by st3v3cx-3 »

Dogfuzz wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:04 am Most interesting the differences in cost between a “major” and “minor” service. I’m finding that independent garages just offer either of these as a norm for all makes.They don’t seem to know about the £500+ Mazda one-but I can easily understand the plugs cost.
My mileage is 21000 by the way
I am a little surprised that your car needs a major service if it is 5 years old and done only 21,000 miles. By my reckoning from the Mazda Scheduled Maintenance information for European models shows at 60mths/5yrs (maximum 62,500 miles) the oil change/oil filter change/various inspection tasks is identical to the one I've just had at 84mths/7yrs (maximum 87,500 miles) old. Wouldn't want you to pay an excessive amount for a major service if that isn't required.
Dogfuzz

Post by Dogfuzz »

I agree with you. Think I'll just have the short one now and a big one later.
I have a friend who only has his Golf MOT-ed ( and advisables dealt with) plus an oil change once a year. He tops up the fluids himself. Doesn't bother with a formal service of any kind. Not sure I'd dare go down that rash path!
st3v3cx-3

Post by st3v3cx-3 »

Sounds a good plan. Might want to consider adding a brake fluid change if it wasn't done last year. A cabin filter - the one installed behind the glovebox - is also due every 2 years but it is easy enough to do yourself as the glovebox is simple to remove by pressing in the side. The major service will be due next year so plenty of time to save up for it :)