CX3 rear seatbelt problem

All Mazda CX-3 related discussions
Davc2000

Post by Davc2000 »

Hello folks.I have the seems pretty usual rear set belt not going back problem.I have took it off,,can it be repaired or needs to be replaced,,any info appreciated! Its a 2018 CX3.Are there companies that can repair this? Dont really want to have to get a new 1 from Mazda,,can't really ask them to a replacement too as I bought the vehicle privately and until now never been to a Maxda dealership.

Percy247

Post by Percy247 »

This is a well known problem and affects both the CX3 and Mazda 2. Both our cars rear seatbelts have suffered this problem. I replaced the near side one with a second hand one off eBay for about £70 and fitted it myself.

The off side one has now got the same issue. Both belts have had little or no use and that's what annoys me. I have heard of belts being replaced by Mazda FOC but that was probably for cars with a full service history. I would like to know what causes this and if it can be fixed! Let us know how you get on.

Anyone (JT) know if there is a TSB on this rear seat belt issue?
2016 Mazda 2 Sport Nav 1.5 Skyactiv Diesel.
george358

Post by george358 »

Replaced both rear seat belts on 2017 cx-3. One was under 5year warranty, other this year, without warranty. Paid 260eur. Owned various brands/cars, this is a first to me -seat belt problem. So big thumbs down for mazda. Well documented problem on cx-3, critical safety problem, yet no recall. If you google the problem you will find on other forums over 20 post about it. And a possible diy solution:
For the DIY guys, this is an easy, although somewhat lengthy time repair (say 1 hour). The non retracting belt problem is due to a poorly assembled electric pretensioner on the opposite side to the inertial locking device on the retract assembly. The tensioner assembly needs to be removed to effect a repair. The steps are: 1. Remove the plastic trim (this is the hardest bit). 2. Disconnect the electric 2 pin connection to the pretensioner. 3. Remove the belt tensioner/pretensioner assembly (14mm socket For the two bolts).
4. Remove the seat belt chassis bolt. (The complete assembly is now free of the vehicle.) 5. Drill out the three rivets covering the anti-tamper cover over the electric pretensioner. 6. Slightly release the three anti tamper small bolts holding the electric pretensioner assembly to the inertial assembly. 7. The stuck belt will now miraculously retract back into the inertial assembly. 8. Do not bother re installing the anti tamper cover. 9. Put it all back together.
10. Do not bother asking the Mazda dealer to do the above. They are too stupid.
Percy247

Post by Percy247 »

george358 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:39 pm Replaced both rear seat belts on 2017 cx-3. One was under 5year warranty, other this year, without warranty. Paid 260eur. Owned various brands/cars, this is a first to me -seat belt problem. So big thumbs down for mazda. Well documented problem on cx-3, critical safety problem, yet no recall. If you google the problem you will find on other forums over 20 post about it. And a possible diy solution:
For the DIY guys, this is an easy, although somewhat lengthy time repair (say 1 hour). The non retracting belt problem is due to a poorly assembled electric pretensioner on the opposite side to the inertial locking device on the retract assembly. The tensioner assembly needs to be removed to effect a repair. The steps are: 1. Remove the plastic trim (this is the hardest bit). 2. Disconnect the electric 2 pin connection to the pretensioner. 3. Remove the belt tensioner/pretensioner assembly (14mm socket For the two bolts).
4. Remove the seat belt chassis bolt. (The complete assembly is now free of the vehicle.) 5. Drill out the three rivets covering the anti-tamper cover over the electric pretensioner. 6. Slightly release the three anti tamper small bolts holding the electric pretensioner assembly to the inertial assembly. 7. The stuck belt will now miraculously retract back into the inertial assembly. 8. Do not bother re installing the anti tamper cover. 9. Put it all back together.
10. Do not bother asking the Mazda dealer to do the above. They are too stupid.
Thanks for the above. I found the Australian CX3 forum where this was posted and a few other people confirm this method works but can throw an error code. I will see if I can find a YouTube video. Has anyone on this forum managed to get a FOC repair from Mazda outside warranty and without a FMD service history? Otherwise the tools will be coming out.
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

I wouldn't do any DIY repairs to the seatbelt - the pretensioner and load limiter may prevent serious injury in the event of an accident. If a belt is not retracting properly, replace the mechanism. No point speculating, ask a dealer or Mazda UK Customer Relations if they will fix FOC or contribute to cost.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
Percy247

Post by Percy247 »

jtonline wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:14 pm I wouldn't do any DIY repairs to the seatbelt - the pretensioner and load limiter may prevent serious injury in the event of an accident. If a belt is not retracting properly, replace the mechanism. No point speculating, ask a dealer or Mazda UK Customer Relations if they will fix FOC or contribute to cost.
I rang Mazda UK Customer services (0345 7484848) and Elliot, the guy I spoke to confirmed that they were aware of this issue and (whilst he could not guarantee anything) in cases like this Mazda UK usually pays for 100% of the repair/replacement cost. He advised me to book it into the local Mazda dealership for them to inspect it and liaise with Mazda UK.

The car is booked into Mazda Harrogate on the 21st of August and we will see how this plays out!

I then had to suffer the service rep try and sell me fuel treatment, air con sterilisation, key fob battery replacement and finally MOT cover. God loves a trier........
Percy247

Post by Percy247 »

Just a quick update. Dropped the vehicle off at Harrogate Mazda and was told I had to agree to a £114 diagnostics charge for them to inspect the car. They also said this might not be covered by Mazda UK in the event that they agreed to replace the Seat Belt FOC.

Picked up the car and Mazda UK has confirmed that they will pay for a replacement seat belt (£275.98). The car goes back next week for the part to be fitted.

I will ring Mazda UK before I go back to confirm that they will be paying the diagnostic fee as well as they have admitted that there is a known fault and are paying for the part.
Dogfuzz

Post by Dogfuzz »

What on earth is involved in a diagnostic for a failing seat belt?….£114 is an odd price or is this the labour charge for a mechanic to just see if it’s working/not working?
CX-3 SPORT NAV ,5 DOOR HATCHBACK,1998CC,PETROL-2018
Percy247

Post by Percy247 »

Dogfuzz wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:25 am What on earth is involved in a diagnostic for a failing seat belt?….£114 is an odd price or is this the labour charge for a mechanic to just see if it’s working/not working?
I am sure it was only £50-60 the last time I visited a main dealer, so it seems have risen astronomically in the last 3 years. This appears to be the minimum 1 hours labour charge to look at anything outside warranty. Even though it takes only 60 seconds to extend the seat belt to its maximum, realise its not twisted and will not retract!
Percy247

Post by Percy247 »

Final outcome. Seat belt replaced free of charge by Mazda. For reference car is 7.5 years old, has done 74,000 miles and the first 4 services were done at Mazda dealership. I happy with the outcome as it cost me only about £12 in diesel and 8 hours of waiting and travel time over 2 mornings.