I-stop flashing.

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
Kimm

Post by Kimm »

Tonight the i-stop light on the dashboard started flashing along with an exclamation mark in a triangle. Does anyone know if this is simply a battery issue or something more annoying that needs fixing? The car is running fine.
TIA.
CX-3 Sports Nav AWD

santa

Post by santa »

Could be simpy the battery (how old is it?).
Have you checked the info page in the infotainment system to see what the error description is (it should write something when you get the triangle light)?
Mazda CX-30 2.0 150HP Aut. Cosmo w. Tech Pack in Arctic White, 2023.
TEB

Post by TEB »

Had issues with both i-stop and i-eloop flashing, initially the dealer replaced the battery, but ended up also replacing the DC to DC converter and capacitor to put both the lights out.
2018/68 CX-3 150ps AWD Sport Nav +, Machine Grey, Manual
Kimm

Post by Kimm »

santa wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 12:22 pm Could be simpy the battery (how old is it?).
Have you checked the info page in the infotainment system to see what the error description is (it should write something when you get the triangle light)?
The car is coming up 7 years old. No I didn’t think to check that when it was on. I’ve just taken it to my local garage and they checked the battery, it came up good at 12.7 so I’m guessing there’s no real issue. He even told me that all cars do that with Stop/Start when they start to get old and a replacement battery is around £180. Got the impression they aren’t that keen to change it. Is it a faff having to reset the i-stop?
CX-3 Sports Nav AWD
Kimm

Post by Kimm »

TEB wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:28 pm Had issues with both i-stop and i-eloop flashing, initially the dealer replaced the battery, but ended up also replacing the DC to DC converter and capacitor to put both the lights out.
It’s currently only coming on if I put the de-mister on first thing on start up, I drive off and it stays on but when I return to start the car the light has gone off. Definitely not something that is staying on.
CX-3 Sports Nav AWD
redimps2003

Post by redimps2003 »

Mine has been doing this increasingly frequently since about Christmas. Battery is testing fine. Car runs fine with the warnings on except for I-stop not operating. Sometimes it's days before the issue recurs, other times it comes and goes within the same day. Can persist for several days or just last for a day or two. Not spotted any rhyme or reason to date. My car is also seven years old - I have no idea how old the battery is.
CX-3, 2016, 120bhp 2L petrol, SE-L Nav, Auto, 2WD.
AndyRen
Location: Down a bit, down a bit more, right a bit, down a bit.... Right there - Kent

Post by AndyRen »

I had noticed over a period of time (year or so) that our i-stop had not worked for ages - no warnings, car started 1st time every time even in the cold.... until it didn't! One day, car started in the morning fine, used for an hour or so, then went to start it and... nothing, just a dim dashboard display and a chatter from the starter motor, rather annoying as I had our neighbour in the passenger seat who had amost cut a finger off on her left hand and was suffering from shock!
New battery (fitted easily myself) cured it all - except my neighbours finger, she had to have stitches - but i-stop has been working fine ever since.

If your car is 7 years old with original battery it might be £180 well spent before the really cold weather sets in?
16 plate 2L Petrol, 120bhp Soul Red Sport Nav...
copperknob

Post by copperknob »

Joining this thread as my car '67 plate sport has just developed the same problem , flashing stop and warning triangle , from the discussion above it would seem battery is most likely cause.
I did notice my oil level was low and topped up and it went away, but now its back.
copperknob

Post by copperknob »

Hi, following on from my last post I have changed the battery and all is well now after running for a week.
I bought a Yuasa from York Motor Factory after a search as they weren't available at Halfords or Euro car parts.
Coincidentally a friend with a '15 plate Mazda 3 is having the same problem.
I used a donor battery and jump leads to keep the power going, the most difficult part was getting the battery out as it didn't have a handle unlike the new one.
Percy247

Post by Percy247 »

Flashing I-stop appeared for the first time today on our 2016 Mazda 2 and the wife nearly Sh1t a brick. I have told her numerous times if the light is red then start to worry and don't drive the car. If it's orange then don't worry.

So I guess it's new battery time. Is there anything special about these batteries? I presume they are not AGM batteries and don't need coding? I am guessing the istop needs resetting somehow but I am sure Google can help there.
2016 Mazda 2 Sport Nav 1.5 Skyactiv Diesel.